Research & Advocacy Manager Berkeley Food Network
- Date Posted April 09, 2021
- Location Berkeley, CA
- Category Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Our team is moving quickly to deepen our anti-hunger work, developing leading-edge solutions to the sticky problem of food insecurity that go beyond food distribution. We are focusing on strategies that improve the health of our clients, our local farm economy, and our environment. We are also joining the fight for food-system-wide transformation, pushing a strong advocacy agenda that we hope to reflect in our on-the-ground work, supporting a county-wide coalition working to build a robust, just, circular food economy.
In this role, you will use your considerable research and communications skills to hone and grow our advocacy program, improve our food sourcing and distribution programs, strengthen our community relationships, bring new insights about anti-hunger and anti-poverty efforts to the practice of our work, create a clear and compelling picture of our work using data and prose, and increase the visibility of our work in the broader community. You will report to the Executive Director and work closely with the leadership team.
You will be part of a talented and passionate group who come together to create new and exciting versions of the standards and, at the same time, you will have the space to display your own virtuosity as you innovate on the themes of our work. If this sounds exciting, we want to hear from you!
The Impact You Will Have
- Develop and refine our advocacy priorities and stances.
- Execute advocacy actions according to our advocacy timeline, responding to emerging issues, events, and political moments to take time-sensitive actions as they arise.
- Stay apprised of legislation, policies, and initiatives at local, state, and federal levels that align with or expand upon our existing advocacy framework.
- Develop and grow our intentional food sourcing in collaboration with the Director of Operations in alignment with our advocacy goals.
- Host and convene partners, community groups, and institutional colleagues to advance advocacy priorities as a collective.
- Participate in community working groups, conversations, and conferences at multiple scales.
Partner Relations & Outreach (25%)
- Identify and establish new productive working relationships in the community and with other organizations and institutions.
- Keep an up-to-date and functional partner database.
- Organize periodic meetings and trainings for our partner organizations.
- Expand outreach efforts and engage with supporters in collaboration with the Executive Director.
- Develop engaging content for our quarterly newsletters, blog posts, and social media platforms, amplifying our policy stances.
Program Evaluation & Expansion (25%)
- Produce periodic formal evaluations of our food distribution programs and frequent informal evaluations.
- Deepen and expand our food distribution programs based on research and evaluation of best practices.
- Create and maintain a portfolio of program descriptions and relevant documents.
- Develop and maintain systems for tracking and reporting programmatic data.
- Research new grant opportunities and collaborate with the Executive Director to produce grant proposals to support program expansion.
There is significant overlap among these areas of work, with each informing the others.
What We Are Looking For
You are someone who is excited to lead and collaborate on a variety of projects with a diverse group of people in a fast-paced environment. You are committed to social, racial, food, and environmental justice, and want to make long-term improvements in the health of our communities and our food systems.
Education and Subject Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in any field, but preferably in a social science, urban studies and planning, public health, public policy, environmental studies, or agrifood systems.
- Moderate to extensive knowledge of food systems, public health issues, and the many structural injustices, inequalities, and histories causing hunger.
Research and Writing
- Experience conducting rapid background research on topics and conveying findings concisely—verbally, visually, and in writing.
- Experience conducting applied research and writing reports.
- Experience writing blogs, newsletters, and social media posts.
- Design sense with regard to text and visual communication.
- 5+ years of experience in advocacy, policy, community organizing, community engagement, or community-based research.
- Experience presenting and speaking publicly.
- Master’s degree in any of the fields listed above.
- Experience writing advocacy briefs, lobbying with policymakers and representatives, and working with diverse coalitions to push an advocacy agenda.
- Proficiency in Spanish, Mandarin, or Cantonese.
- Experience with Qualtrics, QGIS, Adobe Illustrator, and InDesign.
This position requires long periods of time working autonomously on a computer at a desk, interspersed with meetings and site visits. Under normal circumstances, it will be an in-person role situated in our shared office. During the COVID-19 emergency, you will have some flexibility to work from home, but you are expected to get vaccinated and work primarily in the office.
$65,000 a year salary. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, employee assistance package, and retirement plan forthcoming.
this position is : salaried, 50k-75k
Please click here to sign in and view application details.
At the Berkeley Food Network, we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can excel. We take great care to ensure that our hiring practices are inclusive and meet equal employment opportunity standards. Individuals looking for employment at BFN are considered without regard to age, race, ethnicity, national origin, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability status, political affiliation, religion, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineMay 31, 2021