Deaver Wellness Farm Manager/Educator Greener Partners
- Date Posted April 16, 2021
- Location Wynnewood, PA
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Full-Time
Greener Partners (GP) is a 510(c)(3) focused on strengthening community health through equitable fresh food access, abundant farms and gardens, and discovery-based learning. We believe that all people have a right to nourishing food. Since our founding in 2008, Greener Partners has partnered with schools, hospitals, and community-based organizations to address food insecurity and to develop underutilized land into small and productive farms and gardens. We create engaging experiences with fresh food - that affirm people’s history, culture, and strengths - through no-cost fruit and vegetable distributions, and through gardening, cooking, and nutrition education programs. Our seed to plate approach includes the Farm Explorer, Deaver Wellness Farm at Lankenau Medical Center, and Healthy Schools Projects in Norristown, Chester, and West Philadelphia.
GP staff and Board are currently engaged in a process of deep inquiry and intentional transformation to realize our vision of being an inclusive, diverse, and equitable organization that is reflective of our partnerships. Our approach to learning and growing honors and invites diverse culinary, agricultural, and cultural histories. We acknowledge that our work is constantly evolving. We are committed to disrupting racist systems, ideologies, and practices both within ourselves, our organization, and through the work we do in collaboration with others.Job description
Greener Partners (GP) seeks a full-time (40 hours/week), year-round, Manager/Educator for the half acre Deaver Wellness Farm located on the campus of Lankenau Medical Center in Wynnewood, PA. The DWF Manager/Educator will work collaboratively across several different teams both internally at GP and externally with LMC and other project partners.
Internally at GP, the Manager/Educator will be an integral part of our team. In partnership with the part-time DWF Farmer/Educator, the Manager/Educator will provide project-specific updates, insights, and recommendations to GP staff and Board members. As a team thought-partner, the Manager/Educator is invited to contribute more broadly to the continuing evolution of GP’s culture and values through participation in team meetings, working groups, and committees.
Externally, in partnership with Lankenau Medical Center, the DWF Manager/Educator will advance Greener Partners’ Food Is Medicine work at Deaver Wellness Farm. In addition to ensuring the successful operations of the Farm and its programs, collaborative relationship building is a core element of this leadership position. The DWF Manager/Educator is the day-to-day GP staff representative at Lankenau Medical Center interfacing and collaborating with a diversity of professionals across multiple disciplines.
The Manager/Educator will work in close collaboration with the part-time DWF Farmer/Educator to ensure the stewardship of the Farm as well as the successful management and implementation of the Farm’s various programs and initiatives.
- Farm Management
- Program Development and Facilitation
- Program Leadership
- Are committed to anti-racist practices that center equity and inclusion, promote diversity, and reduce harm
- Have managed or worked on a farm/garden for at least three (3) seasons
- Have collaborative relationship building skills
- Demonstrated ability to successfully contribute to a multidisciplinary team and work collaboratively across diverse organizations and disciplines
- Have experience and/or interest in discovery-based learning in nature or farm/garden-based setting for various age groups, including lesson planning and group management
- Are interested in the connection between sustainable agriculture, nutrition, food access, and health equity
- Are experienced in working with a diverse range of ages and populations in a variety of settings
- Have or can acquire up-to date FBI, PA Criminal, and PA Child Abuse clearances
- Are able to work with farm tools such as shovels, wheelbarrows, and rakes; work in and around raised beds low to the ground (1 foot tall) and work outside in all different kinds of weather; can lift 30 lbs.