Head Chef Calvary Women's Services
- Date Posted June 18, 2021
- Location Washington, DC
- Category Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Calvary Women’s Services offers housing, health, education, and employment programs that empower homeless women in Washington, DC, to transform their lives. We believe that providing residents of our transitional housing programs with high-quality, nutritious meals not only promotes the health and well-being of residents but also demonstrates our commitment to treating our community with dignity and respect.Job description The Head Chef ensures a fresh, healthy dinner is provided to women Monday through Thursday evenings. The Head Chef also serves as a resource and advocate for healthy eating. The Head Chef is also responsible for the cleanliness and maintenance of the kitchen, menu planning, inventory control and ordering food and supplies.
This is a full-time position, and offers medical, dental, vision insurance and portable life insurance, 403(b) retirement plan and generous paid vacation and sick leave.
- Prepare a hot, well-balanced dinner is available for 60 residents at all locations every Monday through Thursday
- Plan monthly menus and post weekly menu for residents.
- Serve as a resource and advocate to residents and staff about the benefits of a healthy diet
- Clean and sanitize all items used in meal preparation.
- Ensure that the counters, food storage and shelves are clean, that the refrigerator and freezer are clean and orderly, that all foods are covered and sealed, that spoiled food is thrown out and that the dry food storage is in order.
- Ensure all regular in-house maintenance of kitchen equipment (ex. Deliming the dishwasher, cleaning refrigerator vents, cleaning hood grates) are completed and documented.
- Manage all meal program supplies, including rotating stock, organizing meal program supplies so that they are easily accessible and ensuring that foods are used within an appropriate time.
- Prepare and place weekly/bi-weekly food and supply order.
- Transport meals between Calvary’s program sites.
- Meet highest standards of food safety and sanitation.
- Good communication skills, problem-solving skills, and be self-motivated.
- Ability to work independently and as a contributing team member.
- Ability to use and operate all required equipment.
- Maintain all kitchen and dining areas, tools and equipment in a safe, functional and attractive manner.
- Interact responsively and professionally with residents, staff, vendors and volunteers.
- Vehicle and valid driver’s license (needed to transport between our lcoations)
- ServSafe Manager certified
- Strong professional foodservice background, preferably in institutional settings
- Lift and carry sacks, boxes, product up to 30 pounds from floor to above waist level
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
- Climbing: Ascending or descending multiple flights of stairs, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period