Farmers Market Program Assistant Fairfax County Park Authority - GSG
- Date Posted July 20, 2021
- Location Alexandria, VA
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Part-Time
Fairfax County operates 10 farmers markets across Fairfax County under the Fairfax County Park Authority. By providing access to locally grown foods, our farmers market program strives to improve the health of Fairfax County citizens, support local food producers, and protect the environment.
Our markets are strictly producer-only, meaning that all of our farmers and producers may only sell what they raise on their farms or make from scratch. We encourage our vendors to use local ingredients in the creation of their products as much as possible. Our farmers and producers all come from within a 125-mile radius of Fairfax County.Job description
- Work closely with Market Managers to track customer counts for markets
- Plan and organize vendor site visits
- Organize and maintain Farmers Market filing system
- Track Farmers Market Inventory including signage and supplies
Market Manager duties
- Fill in for Market Managers when required
- Generate promotional flyers and signage for individual markets and nutrition programs.
- Assist with social media content
- Assist with monthly e-newsletter
- Assist in planning and coordinating educational programming at farmers markets including Farmers Market Week and Fall Harvest Festival.
- Assist in planning and organizing vendor and market manager meetings
- High level of familiarity with the Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Highly organized in maintaining records and preparing administrative reports
- Ability to maintain an effective working relationship with staff and volunteers. Good customer service.
- Able to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing
- Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following: high school graduation or a GED issued by a state Department of Education
- An interest in local food, sustainable agriculture, nutrition and/or small business growth
- Must be available to work occasional weekends and evenings