People & Human Resources Manager DC Greens Inc
- Date Posted June 28, 2021
- Location Washington, DC
- Category Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
DC Greens uses the levers of food education, food access, and food policy to advance food justice in the nation’s capital. We do this by:
Focusing on transformational changes at the systems-level
Building bridges between government, private sector, communities and non-profits
Developing advocacy channels to amplify marginalized voices
Curating best practices and leveraging existing infrastructure
Responding to community needs
Providing thought leadership
One day all people will be powered by food that sustains the environment, reinvests in local economies, and improves well-being and health.Our Values
DC Greens’ values are at the heart of our work. These values reinforce each other, and are never practiced in isolation. We strive to align all of our work – both external and internal – to these values, and believe they are central to accomplishing our mission and vision.
Collaboration: We value collaboration over competition and enter every relationship looking for common ground.
Integrity: We believe that change moves at the pace of trust, and that we must work diligently to earn and maintain trust in every relationship. This includes being transparent and accountable, conducting ourselves with integrity, being responsive to needs, and treating others with compassion.
Creativity: We believe that a measure of creativity is necessary to find new solutions to old problems. While we are pragmatic in our approach, we value outside-the-box thinking, bringing equal measures of optimism and creative visioning into our work.
Sustainability: We believe that large-scale system change can only occur with sustainable solutions. We value sustainability in all of its meanings – seeking to engender change that is both environmentally sound and that shifts cultural priorities so that structures are put in place to support the work into the future.
Equity: We believe that our work can play a role in dismantling structural oppression. We value the perspectives and experiences of all people, and respect all forms of knowledge. We will work to ensure that marginalized voices are at the table and that their voices inform our work.
DC Greens, a non-profit organization that uses the levers of food education, food access, and food policy to advance food justice and health equity in the nation's capital, is currently seeking a People & HR Manager.
The People & HR Manager is a new position designed to co-create key talent processes, organizational culture initiatives, and human resources practices in order to enable the organization to achieve its mission. This position is responsible for furthering the human resources initiatives within the organization, leading the milestones of the employment cycle and supporting the implementation of policies and procedures.
You are an ideal candidate if you are well-versed in talent acquisition and development, employee engagement, organizational culture, HR laws and HR compliance. If you have experience applying an equity lense to your daily work, knowledge of how to create conditions for success and have a deep commitment to racial justice this is the position for you. The People & HR Manager will collaborate closely with, and report to the Operations Director.
Essential Job Requirements
Talent Acquisition & Development
- Lead and refine the hiring process for the organization
- Collaborate with Operations Assistant within talent acquisition process
- Identify and lead the implementation of a new Applicant Tracking System
- Refine and strengthen employee onboarding protocols
- Develop recruitment strategies to attract a diverse workforce
- Lead and refine, in collaboration with the Operations Director, the organization's evaluation performance process
- Lead performance evaluation process cycle
- Collaborate with Managers to create and track staff development plans
- Serve as resource to staff on identifying training & development opportunities
- Perform regular needs assessments in order to support the professional development needs of all staff
- Perform ongoing learning and development needs assessments and propose learning solutions through a racial equity lens
- Provide input on racial equity training initiatives and other topics designed to increase awareness and support of equity and inclusion values
- Collaborate with Operations Director and staff to create a clear, compelling vision for attracting, developing, training and retaining exceptional diverse talent
- Lead planning and coordination of internal events that foster employee engagement and retention (e.g., semi-annual all-company retreat)
- Collaborate on the creation and implementation of initiatives for moving organizational culture forward in a virtual environment
- Lead employee engagement and organizational surveys and conversations to solicit feedback and develop solutions for improvement
- Conduct exit interviews with staff and analyze information to feed solutions that drive higher employee engagement and retention
- Model and deliver courageous, clear, honest, and supportive feedback across the team, including with leadership
- Work with the Equity Cell, the Executive Leadership Team, and all staff to embed equity in all human resources initiatives within the organization
- Serve as HR compliance expert and point of contact for the organization (e.g., I9s, new employment laws, file retention, etc.), and stay abreast of compliance and/or law changes
- Develop and manage policies around employee grievances and escalation
- Support the development of compensation practices and policies
- Support the creation and maintenance of HR policies, processes and practices throughout the employee lifecycle
- Partner with external benefits brokers to coordinate employee benefits program and events
- Provide backup office support, as needed (e.g., answer phones, order supplies, etc.)
- Additional related duties, as needed.
- Three plus years of relevant experience in a human resources role
- Experience building and leading the talent acquisition and development function within an organization
- Track record of getting results using collaborative strategic management and organizational skills
- Demonstrated commitment to the vision and mission of DC Greens’ work; experience with implementing initiatives based in social change
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience developing diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
- High degree of personal integrity and commitment to maintaining confidentiality
- Self aware, emotionally intelligent person who focuses on the root causes of issues, listens to understand, and makes connections between qualitative and quantitative information
- Clear oral and written communication skills
- PHR or SHRM Certified
- Experience working within a nonprofit
- Experience working in a remote environment
Salary & Benefits
This is a regular, full-time (40 hours/week) salary, non exempt position. The salary range for this position is $70,200 to $75,450 commensurate with experience. There is a generous benefits package (medical/dental/vision, disability/life insurance, 25 days PTO, employer match on retirement contributions after 1 year, flexible schedule). Due to the current pandemic all employees are currently working remotely but being physically present in the work space will be a requirement in the future.
this position is : salaried, 50k-75k