Organic Gardening Teacher Brooksfield School
- Date Posted July 07, 2021
- Location McLean, VA
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
Brooksfield School is a Montessori School with about 95 students during the school year and 130 students during the summer for camp. Our ages start with toddlers and go through age 6. We are located in McLean, VA.
The Gardening Teacher position at Brooksfield School is three days a week from 9:00am-12pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from September to June. From June to August, the Garden Teacher works Summer Camp one day a week from 9:30am-3:00pm, working with students ages 3 to10. We are flexible with days.
The Garden Teacher takes classes in small groups (5 to 11 students) out to learn in our beautiful organic gardens and woodland area. The Garden Teacher develops lessons in tune with the garden season, and has the opportunity to collaborate with other teachers to provide an interdisciplinary curriculum. We have an indoor room, outdoor classroom, greenhouse, and sheltered benches for rainy days or shade when needed. The Garden Teacher manages our raised garden beds, and promotes outdoor and food safety, health and nutrition, stewardship and pride in our school habitats.
In addition, we are looking for a year-round care taker of our raised garden beds (once or twice weekly as needed to weed and water herbs, vegetables and flowers).
- Plan and teach garden small group lessons, 3 days a week
- Manage school gardens with raised beds and oversee planting/watering schedule.
(Note: school has groundskeepers for lawn care and path mulching).
Desired skills and experience
- Teaching experience with young children (ages 3-10)
- Outdoor group management skills
- Interest and knowledge of gardening, natural history and environmental science
- Practice in Mindfulness is a plus
- Ability to do some light physical work