Food & Nutrition Coordinator Latin American Youth Center
- Date Posted July 14, 2021
- Location Washington, DC
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
The Latin American Youth Center (LAYC) is a nationally recognized youth serving organization in Washington, DC, and Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties in Maryland. We serve 5,000 youth and their families annually with intervention programs and opportunities in education, workforce readiness, housing, mental health services, arts, and healthy recreation. Our mission is to empower a diverse population of youth to achieve a successful transition to adulthood, through multicultural, comprehensive, and innovative programs that address youths' social, academic, and career needs.Job description The Food & Nutrition Coordinator is a part-time position based in Washington, DC. The coordinator will assist in the development and lead day-to-day maintenance of a new food pantry at LAYC, which will serve hundreds of families a month with food, diapers, and toiletries. The coordinator will maintain the pantry, order food, solicit and integrate donations, and assist staff in planning and implementing food and diaper distributions off-site. They will work with youth and volunteer groups in the pantry. They will also create food & nutrition content to support the pantry, such as recipe cards and cooking demo videos on social media.
In addition to supporting the LAYC pantry, the coordinator will develop and lead food and nutrition classes for LAYC youth at the main building, partner sites, or online. The coordinator may work with youth from age 7 to 24, as well as families.
- Provide operational and administrative oversight of the LAYC pantry to ensure that it is conducted in accordance with requirements and budgets.
- Coordinate and schedule food pickups and deliveries with partner organizations, volunteers, and donors.
- Lead on-site food distribution activities, including the coordination of staff and volunteers who support distribution from the pantry.
- Assist staff in organizing off-site food distribution activities
- Create content to support nutrition and food education related to pantry (fliers, social media posts, videos, etc.)
- Engage youth in food and nutrition classes focused on cooking skills, food safety and nutrition education, food justice issue exploration, urban agriculture, and more
- Create an engaging environment and structure for youth to fully participate in activities
- Be responsible for the safety and well-being of students and equipment
- Enter and maintains program data in ETO and prepares monthly reports on program outcomes.
- Maintain updated criminal background and child protective clearances as required by LAYC and funders
- Perform other duties specifically assigned by the Program Manager for Food & Nutrition
- Adhere to all LAYC personnel policies; including promoting a respectful, safe, multi-cultural setting and maintaining a professional relationship with youth – no sharing of personal social media or socializing with your youth outside of LAYC sanctioned events or fieldtrips.
- Experience planning and leading projects or activities for youth;
- Experience in managing events and/or coordinating volunteer groups;
- Experience working with adolescents and families;
- Passion for food (professional food work experience NOT required);
- Knowledge of basic nutrition and health;
- Experience designing curriculum and leading workshops, trainings, or classes;
- Ability to work well and communicate with culturally diverse populations;
- Time management skills and ability to multi-task;
- Excellent written and verbal skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to work well and communicate with a culturally diverse population;
- Ability to translate Positive Youth Development techniques into practice;
- Complete medical, FBI and child abuse and neglect clearances.