Kitchen Manager King David Tacos
- Date Posted July 27, 2021
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
King David Tacos is a woman-owned and Brooklyn-founded business, established in June 2016. We bring one of the best exports from Austin, TX to the daily lives of New Yorkers: breakfast tacos.
Before KDT, New York City (arguably the world’s center of food culture and influence) had been devoid of real breakfast tacos (arguably the perfect breakfast food) for too long. But beyond being Tex-Mex-obsessed, it is our belief that NYC is in need of better on-the-go breakfast.
KDT has wholesale, retail, and catering arms of the business, working in concert. We specialize in grab'n'go breakfast tacos that are simple and delicious, are created for everyday enjoyment without guilt, and are tailored to the fast-paced lifestyle and discerning tastes of New Yorkers.Job description
King David Tacos serves a regional breakfast food that is simple, but requires care and diligence. We are looking for a dedicated, reliable, experienced, and energetic Kitchen Manager who is excited about growing with our company. We're looking for a leader and a problem-solver, who will help us with scalability and consistency as we expand in NYC.
We operate out of our newly-built 4000 sf production kitchen in Prospect Heights. The menu is straightforward but requires great attention to detail and consistency. We cook everything fresh each day and then package it for grab-and-go. Our business has three arms: Retail (brick & mortar and carts), Wholesale (fresh distribution to coffee shops / cafes), and Catering. We just opened our first brick & mortar location, attached to our production facility. Read more here.
The Kitchen Manager at KDT must be both a leader and a lover of systems. The KM contributes to building our business by optimizing and implementing processes and training / overseeing the kitchen staff to execute these responsibilities. The KM must have extreme attention to detail, and is responsible for ensuring that the right people and right processes are in place to make each and every taco a high quality, delicious experience, no matter where it is served.
Day-to-day, the Kitchen Manager will oversee production, executing established recipes and production processes with the assistance of the Production Manager and 3-6 additional production staff. The Kitchen Manager will also be responsible for enforcing employee guidelines among the staff, ensuring that the kitchen runs to the business’s standards, and fostering a positive and motivational work environment. The Kitchen Manager works hand-in-hand with the Operations Manager and Quality Assurance Lead to ensure King David Tacos is running as efficiently, effectively and safely as possible.
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits, 5 days / week. The Kitchen Manager's hours vary based on the day, but typically are 11a-12p to 8p-9p, with the production shift running from 3p to 11p. Hours or days will change depending on volume of orders, management meetings, or administrative / operational duties in order to accommodate business needs.
- Ensures the kitchen is stocked, staffed and prepared to produce and send out product for all orders, 7 days / week
- Manages Production team in terms of scheduling, hiring and evaluating performance
- Oversees other Production Staff, encouraging their growth and skill development
- Ensures company rules, policies and procedures are adhered to
- Manages inventory, ordering and food costing
- Acts as liaison between Production team and Operations team, working together to make the day-to-day run
- Completes administrative duties, including scheduling, replying to emails, managing vendors, food-related financial organization, updating recipes as needed, checking catering software / events calendar daily
- Responsible for hiring new Production Staff
- Ensures kitchen is adhering to NYC Department of Health and FDA Good Manufacturing Practices standards
- Consults with Operations Manager on any items that need repair or maintenance (equipment, waste, exterminator, etc.)
- Must be able to work evenings, with flexible scheduling
- Reports directly to Operations Manager and the CEO
- 3+ years experience in the food industry, 2 years leading and managing a high volume food operation
- New York City Food Handler’s License
- HACCP or PCQI Training not required but a major plus
- Culinary school graduate preferred, but not required for the right candidate
- Detail-oriented and highly organized
- Strong leadership and communication skills, ability to lead by example
- Ability to stay calm under pressure
- Computer and word processing software proficient
- Self-motivated, problem-solver and team player with a collaborative mindset
- Ability to delegate work among employees in a logical, efficient manner
- Excellent work ethic—ability to stay clean, calm, and focused under all circumstances
- Commitment to the company and upholding the standards of the brand
- Ability to reach, bend, squat and frequently move up to 50 pounds
- Ability to stand on your feet for long periods of time
- 10 days paid vacation
- Medical / dental insurance
- Company-sponsored HACCP and/or PCQI training (if not already obtained)
This is a great opportunity to grow with a young company. We’re a positive group of people with the drive to make something great, and it’s an exciting time to join our team.Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions