Flour Ambassador - Weekend Markets Capay Mills
- Date Posted August 12, 2021
- Location Bay Area (San Francisco/Oakland), CA
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job type Part-Time
Capay Mills mills and sells flour with purpose. We are here to revitalize local grain economies by bringing fresh-milled heritage whole grains and flours to bakers, chefs, distillers and brewers throughout California (and beyond). Our mission has been to rekindle the spirit of a bygone era of “purposeful millers” by helping bakers, chefs, distillers and brewers rediscover the surprising diversity of flavors, nutrition, and environmental benefits of locally grown, heirloom whole grains. Our flour has a “hellava’" lot of purpose. The heirloom and modern grain we mill is grown by ourselves and neighboring farmers, following organic, sustainable practices and milled to order on European stone mills in Esparto, Yolo County. We connect with our community of wholesale and retail customers through farmers markets, specialty grocers, and through our online store.Job description
Capay Mills seeks an entry level, “Flour Ambassador” who is enthusiastic, engaging, and engaged to educate and support customers at 2 farmers' markets in San Francisco and Oakland.
This job is as much about sharing your knowledge and enthusiasm for baking, sustainable agriculture, healthy diets, and promoting local food systems as it is about selling product.
We'll help you learn the lingo, and understand the details so you can be comfortable sharing it with others. Our job is help our customers make the most delicious, nutritious and impactful baked goods on the planet.
Our Flour Ambassador will be responsible for operating our market stall at Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market every Saturday from 8 am to 2 pm, and at Temescal Farmers' Market in Oakland (Rockridge) from 9 am to 1 pm every Sunday. Both markets operate year-round.
Responsibilities will include setting up and striking the stall every market, cash and credit payments, invoices, recording sales, as well as storing product inventory and market furniture during the week.
In addition to managing our weekly markets, we're looking for a Flour Ambassador capable of expanding flour sales to specialty bakers, grocers and restaurants in the Bay Area, with support from our management team.
We anticipate plenty of opportunities for this sales and marketing position to grow as Capay Mills expands its production capacity in the coming 12-18 months.
- Direct sales/marketing experience
- Experience and passion for baking and/or cooking.
- Knowledge or passion for sustainable agriculture.
- Willingness to attend additional area markets, if interested. Willingness to expand job hours to include local deliveries.
- Detailed oriented
- Own a reliable, licensed, insured vehicle and access to dry, secure storage (< 50 sq.ft.) to keep and transport up to 500 lbs. of flour and equipment to market each weekend
- Ability to lift up to 60 lbs. and stand for up to six hours (with breaks).
- Willingness to work out of doors, year-round
- Reside within 50 miles of San Francisco/Oakland
- Own a smartphone with data plan (to record sales transactions)
- Ability to work weekends, and occasional week days as needed
- Patience, passion, creativity, and strong entrepreneurial spirit!
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline