Greenhouse Manager Homefront Farmers
- Date Posted September 28, 2021
- Location Redding, CT
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
Homefront Farmers is a family-owned business, founded in 2011. Our core business focuses on helping bring all the benefits of an edible organic garden to people’s lives. We design, build and maintain custom at-home gardens with the goal of helping people produce their own food organically. We design beautiful, functional raised bed gardens that are built to last, season after season, and provide our clients with all the guidance and help they need to maintain it all season long. We also offer our clients other homesteading services, including beekeeping, maple syrup services, fruit trees, and more.
Homefront Farmers has a staff of 15 organic gardening professionals (Homestead Managers) who are passionate about what we do for our 200+ clients and consider it a labor of love to serve our clients and provide them with the joy of growing! We are based on a beautiful 11-acre farm in Redding Connecticut. This farm features the post-beam farm-house (that was raised and built by the family and crew), all our growing spaces including multi-acre fields, our 96-foot greenhouse, maple sugar shack, mushroom fruiting room, chickens, full woodshop and Diana, the resident cat.Job description
The Greenhouse Manager’s primary responsibility is to oversee all planting and maintenance activities in Homefront Farmers’ greenhouses to supply beautiful, healthy, high-quality seedlings and produce for our client gardens and our onsite farm business.
You are accountable for all that goes on in the greenhouses:
- Implement seeding schedule;
- Help determine seasonal greenhouse needs;
- Order and manage all seeds/seed baskets for HMs;
- Schedule and complete all up-potting, reseeding, thinning, etc.
- Daily pest/disease/irrigation control;
- Daily organization of trays, culling of space, plant labelling, etc.;
- Reporting and record keeping on all activities including germination rates, growing problems, items for next season, etc.
- Communicate and collaborate with Client Services Managers on all client-related issues and with Farm Director on all plant quality, growing ideas/plans.
- Communicate/collaborate with Facilities Manager regarding upkeep of irrigation, heating systems, insect netting, etc.
- Off-season - research and plan best-practices for watering, growing, up potting, etc.
- Assist in annual budget planning and reconciliation;
- Communicate supply stream needs to/with Facilities Manager and/or Purchasing Manager;
- Work in client gardens as needed after peak greenhouse season has passed (see below).
Successful candidates must be/have:
- Extensive experience and track record of success in organic vegetable growing and an understanding of and curiosity about innovative greenhouse growing systems;
- Extremely well organized, able to plan and execute complex workflow and project management (multiple greenhouse tasks, timelines, demands);
- Strong ability to clearly coordinate and communicate with both HM and fellow managers;
- Mature, level-headed, independent thinker and problem-solver;
- Sense of humor and positive team energy!
- Committed to modelling Homefront Farmers’ Core Values (see below);
What else should I know?
- This position will be full time and assumes the following: 5 days/week in greenhouse through to end of June, 2-3 days/week through early August, 1 day/week through mid-September;
- You will report directly to the Client Services Manager;
Homefront Farmers is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Homefront Farmers makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.Compensation this position is : salaried, varies DOE, $36,000.00 - $50,000.00 Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineNovember 01, 2021