Assistant Manager of Merchandising Murray's Cheese +11 more
- Date Posted September 21, 2021
- Location Long Island City, NY
- Category Business
- Job type Full-Time
At Murray’s, we are cheese experts and enthusiasts who make, source, sell and serve exceptional cheese and specialty foods nationwide.
Born in Greenwich Village, the heart of our business still resides in New York City with many ways to experience Murray’s Cheese locally. At the counter, our cheese experts and mongers serve thousands of neighborhood regulars, commuters and tourists alike every year at our three locations –the Bleecker Street flagship retail experience, a beloved neighborhood fixture, our shop in Grand Central Terminal, and our new location in Long Island City.
For dining out, we operate two New York City restaurants: Murray’s Mac & Cheese, with fast casual fare, and Murray’s Cheese Bar, a sit-down restaurant featuring cheese flights and dishes by expert mongers and seasoned chefs. Our Murray’s Cheese Bar location opened in Spring 2020, moving to it’s new home in Long Island City.
For those eager to learn more, we offer robust education and events programming and, for those looking to serve more, we provide catering of expertly-crafted cheese boards and freshly-made foods. Oh, did we mention we also age our own cheese? Yeah –we do that too. We have state-of-the-art cheese caves in Long Island City.
But, because we like to share, we wanted to bring our exceptional cheese to people outside of New York too. So, we’ve made Murray’s products available online at murrayscheese.com and in-store with a curated selection of specialty cheese in more than 800 Kroger and Kroger-owned stores nationwide (and, growing every day!). And, through our wholesale business, you might enjoy Murray’s cheese at more than 600 restaurants across the country.Job description
As Assistant Manager of our Merchandising team, you not only are a cheese know-it-all, you are a specialty food guru! You are responsible for creating merchandising plans for all channels of the company, with specific emphasis on Retail and Ecommerce outlets. You are first and foremost a project manager, ensuring that all aspects of the merchandising plan are carried out. In charge of ensuring that vendor and retail relations including category management, merchandising, new item introduction and sales growth among all channels are all running smoothly. You will work closely with our Planning and Allocations team to develop, lead, and execute purchasing strategies while tracking key metrics to reduce expenses and improve effectiveness.
Who You Are
- Analytical: You love dissecting facts and figures and have the ability to collect, visualize, and analyze information in detail. You can make your data tell a story and that’s important to us!
- Master Negotiator: You always have the Company’s best interest in mind to achieve established gross margin levels while maintaining the most competitive cost.
- Liaison: You’re a great communicator and can make connections with people everywhere you go. This allows you to be the liaison between our Merchandising team and Retail, Wholesale, E-Commerce, and Warehouse departments.
- Decision-Maker: You understand that this position is laden with decision-making coupled with requiring good judgement. While we expect you to ask questions, there are times where you will be the deciding factor and you feel comfortable doing that.
What You Do
- Merchandising: To best track the sell-through rates of products, you must ensure consistent merchandising of products within our retail stores and e-commerce communication. This includes regular visits to our stores to hold walkthroughs with employees, teaching them the art of merchandising as well as working with our ecommerce team to ensure all project are carried through and all products are represented correctly. You oversee all ordering for Murray's NY (imports, provisions, Atalanta, Forever Cheese, etc.), as well as seasonal projections for specialty/limited items, and maintain inventory to match par levels/demand.
- Planning: Through your reporting you prepare seasonal projections, always staying one step ahead of our customers’ needs. You ensure that the merchandising plan is laid out for the entire year and that each level of our business is aware and ready to carry out the plans.
- Vendor Relations: You cultivate relationships with vendors, maintaining and expanding supplier relationships. You achieve established gross margin levels while maintaining competitive costs.
- Project Manager: There will be many different projects and tasks going on at once. It is your job to make sure that they are all moving forward consistently and cohesively. There are monthly inventory processes to handle inventory schedule, email communication, audits, etc. Additionally, there are items needing to be managed on a warehouse level, including OOS correspondence and updates, spoilage/credit requests with vendors, and fulfilling general Receiving Liaison.
- Support: You will work closely with retail managers on seasonal, monthly and core merchandise planning and execution. You will maintain and update order boards for each department, as well as support all merchandising related objectives in retail through meetings, training and accountabilities. In addition to retail support, you also fulfill general Wholesale Liaison requirements, complete stock updates communication, and manage special order placement, maintenance, and control. You also will ensure support through NetSuite and scales maintenance, ensuring all item costing and information is correct and up-to-date.
What We Need From You
- 2 or more years in a retail leadership position (specialty food retail is preferred!)
- A sincere passion for all things cheesy
- College degree or equivalent education or training
- A sense of humor
- Weekly pay
- 3 weeks vacation and one week sick time
- 401k Company Match
- Flexibility with telecommuting
- LTD and Life Insurance options
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Commuter benefits
- Discounts on our products and restaurant!
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline