Senior Jam Maker Girl Meets DIrt
- Date Posted September 22, 2021
- Location Eastsound, WA
- Category Culinary / Production
- Job type Full-Time
Girl Meets Dirt seeks a Jam Maker to serve a dedicated role on our Production team and serve as point-person and pacesetter for day-to-day ‘making’ related activities. This is an ideal position for a hard-working, hands on, production-experienced individual looking to grow with an exciting food company in a beautiful, active, island community.
The Jam Maker position will be responsible for prepping, cooking and packaging all varietals in our preserves lines not limited to but including Spoon Preserves, Cutting Preserves, Shrubs, & Bitters. Participation in other kitchen related support activities will be dependent on season and need (as determined by the Production Manager) and may include: cleaning and sanitizing, labeling, fruit processing, organization and storage optimization, recipe development and other production related needs and priorities.
The Jam Maker will set the standard for how we craft our exceptional product with an eye to continual refinements and improvements, to ensure we consistently produce product of the highest quality. The Jam Maker will also participate in training junior jam makers to support production efforts.
Success in this role relies not only on culinary skills, knowledge, attention to detail and endurance, but also on the ability to communicate in a positive, team-centric, pro-business & pro-community minded way.
You do not need to know how to make jam but you must have at least 2-3 years of demonstrated success in cooking roles or food product production and an eagerness to learn new methods. Applicable backgrounds could be commercial kitchen or manufacturing/management experience, pastry chef, sous chef, jam maker, line cook with aptitude and desire to lead, learn and grow.
- Minimum of 2-3 years in a food manufacturing or commercial kitchen or other production role
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Jam Maker will spend majority of time on feet in an active production role producing all lines of our preserves
- Additional responsibilities will include documenting, cleaning and sanitizing, labeling, fruit processing and storage
- Ensure detailed written logs and labeling of production activities: batch log, freezer log, etc.
- Assist founder in developing products or refining recipes
- Assist with production related inventory and tracking for ingredients and packaging materials as required by Production Manager
- Test products to ensure quality and food safety standards are met or exceeded
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to multi-task, anticipate, & manage changing objectives in an all-hands-on-deck, fast paced environment
- A can-do hustle attitude/you thrive on conquering tasks and strive for perfection
- Ability to apply and understand basic mathematics
- Technical competency or aptitude (read/learn measuring tools & report in appropriate units, etc.)
- Excellent cook with discerning palate
- Strong commitment to sustainability, quality processes, safety, and cleanliness
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs from ground to tables or shelving, or into and out of trucks, on occasion repeatedly.
Reports to: Production Manager
Location: Eastsound, Washington (Orcas Island)
Compensation: DOE, commensurate with experience
Benefits: We offer medical and dental benefits after a short grace period to full time employees as well generous paid holiday/PTO benefits
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline