Harvest & Market Assistant Wild Hope Farm +3 more
- Date Posted October 10, 2021
- Location Chester, SC
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job type Full-Time
Wild Hope Farm is a certified organic farm in Chester, SC, specializing in vegetable and flower production. The 220 acre property consists of 12 acres in cultivation, greenhouses, walking trails, a 10-acre pond, and diversified natural areas. Our produce is sold through a 300-400 person CSA farm share, to local food hubs and chefs, and at two farmers markets in the greater Charlotte area (Uptown and Matthews Farmers Markets). We also host complementary on-farm events including retreats, farm-to-table dinners, and educational workshops to cultivate community and encourage people to learn about our farming practices.
We are looking for a proactive individual with some prior experience in production farming and an ability to work independently as well as with the crew. As a Field Assistant at Wild Hope, you are an integral member of our team of 10-15 employees. Your ability to keep the farm organized, moving efficiently, and prepared for future tasks, is critical to the overall success of our operation. Over the course of the season, you will be exposed to all aspects of our farm and deepen your knowledge of our regenerative organic farming methods including: CSA planning, produce harvest and post-harvest techniques, transplanting, cultivation, cover cropping, flower production, soil health improvement strategies, customer interfacing and small farm marketing.
During your time at Wild Hope Farm, you will work directly under our Crew Manager, Rachel Klein. Along with our Field Manager, Joe Rowland, the pair have a combined 20 years experience in sustainable agriculture.Job description
HARVEST & MARKET ASSISTANT
The harvest & market assistant is responsible for handling finished produce from the field to customer boxes or farmers market booths. This person assists with the daily harvest and pack, and oversees our booths at the Uptown and Matthews Farmers Markets. During non harvesting times, this person helps to plan and organize for future harvests or join in with the crew in planting and weeding operations.
- Help with daily harvest, washing, and packing operations
- Pack CSA shares according to plan
- Sort and grade produce
- Keep the wash house clean and organized
- Coordinate the crew doing pack shed activities
- Restock packing materials & communicate with the harvest manager when additional supplies are needed
- Manage cooler inventory
- Maintain safe storage of cooler inventory
- Coordinate use of farm crew as needed
With an expanding CSA program and busy market booth, the farmers markets are a significant sales channel for the farm. The harvest/market assistant is responsible for all aspects of running our booth at the farmers market and CSA drop-off from late April through November.
- Lead the planning, preparing and packing for the Farmers Market on Fridays
- Set-up and break-down of the market booth on Saturday
- Record keeping of market sales using the Square App
- Saturday recap to team of market sales
- Strategizing on quantities / varieties to bring to market and other ideas for increasing market sales
- Seeding, transplanting, weeding, thinning and other field work
- At least 1 season harvesting at an outdoor vegetable farm (CSA farm experience preferred)
- Personable, able to interact with all types of customers and patient when dealing with difficult customers
- Solid understanding of harvest methods for all types of vegetables
- Knowledge of vegetable storage methods and requirements
- Knowledge of food safety standards
- Ability to identify all types of vegetables
- Ability to sort/grade produce for quality
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to efficiently motivate and direct people during harvest and packing operations
- Ability to bend, kneel, and lift frequently
- Provided fresh produce from the farm
- Great learning opportunity working with a small crew running a production farm
- Nearby (on the other side of the farm but driving is required) housing is available for this position. Option to either pay rent $400/mo or do a work trade mowing/maintaining in exchange for rent.
- Pets are not allowed.
Mid-March through early December 2022
The work at Wild Hope Farm is seasonal and the length of the workday varies within the busy season. The pay for agricultural work at Wild Hope Farm is exempt from overtime pay. Employees work approximately 40-45 hrs/wk. The expectation is that the work day or week will last until the job is finished. There will occasionally be meetings and miscellaneous tasks that need to get done after the work day is over.
Monday - Friday 6:00 AM - 3:00 PM (periodic break 15 minute breaks & 45 min lunch break)
The following guidelines on vacation and personal time assume employment from April through the end of November.
Vacations: You are given the base of 5 vacation days plus 2 additional days for every year you return. Vacation times will be scheduled at the beginning of the season, trying to take all needs into account. If you would like to take additional unpaid vacation days, please speak with Peanut and Rachel about scheduling.
Personal Time: It is expected that there will be some need during the season for every employee to take some personal time, whether for car repairs, doctor's appointments, or other personal needs. Each full-time employee may take up to 2 paid personal days each season. The personal day does not need to be taken as a “full day.” It is expected that except for emergencies, a week's notice will be given about the need for personal time.
Sick Time: When you're sick, please don't work. If health circumstances arise that cause you to miss more than 1 week of work during the season due to illness, there will need to be some discussion as to whether the position is right for you at this time. Sick days that are not taken as personal days will go unpaid. Compensation this position is : hourly, $10/hr to $15/hr Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineJanuary 31, 2022