Crops Farmer Stone Barns Center +1 more
- Date Posted January 14, 2022
- Location Pocantico Hills, NY
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Full-Time
About Stone Barns Center:
For 15 years, Stone Barns Center and Blue Hill have demonstrated the power of farmer-chef collaborations to inspire change in the food system. We are now poised to deepen our impact and address some of the greatest environmental, health, and economic challenges of our time. We have a bold vision to catalyze an ecological food culture that supports a thriving regenerative food and farm economy.
We will build on our long standing work at the intersection of farmers and chefs to activate critical areas with the potential for exponential impact on ecological and human health, farm viability, and other elements of thriving food systems. In service of this vision, we will reimagine how we use our Lower Hudson Valley campus to serve as the R&D lab for the ecological food culture we seek.Job description
Job Title: Crops Farmer
Location: Stone Barns Center in Pocantico Hills, NY
Supervisor: Crops Management Team
Employment Classification: Full-time/Salaried, Non-exempt
Frequency of Pay: Bi-weekly
Salary: Non-exempt role starting with an annual salary of $42,000
Schedule: 5 days, may include weekends and some evenings.
We are looking for two full-time people to help fill out our crew for the 2022 season. Ideally, we're looking for folks that might be interested in staying more than one year and are looking to grow with us. There are opportunities to take on more responsibility over time, depending on your interests and the farm needs.
Our farmers are involved in all aspects of the farm's production from seeding and planting, to soil preparation, cultivation and weeding, harvesting and post-harvest. You'll be participating in all the auxiliary tasks as well, like moving irrigation, and packing orders. We are a small farm and we do most of our bed prep, all of our cultivation, and all of our harvesting by hand.
As with all farm work, there will be difficult tasks as well as those that are repetitive. We keep our day length reasonable, but we do work very quickly and efficiently during that time. You should be prepared to spend all day outside, in all kinds of weather, and to pace yourself for busy days on the farm. You should be prepared for physical work. We try to make tasks as ergonomic as possible and are always improving, but farm work is physical and you should expect to spend extended periods of time bending over, lifting heavy items, or performing repetitive tasks.
We prefer folks with some prior production farm experience because we would like to attract folks who understand the nature and the pace of production work. We are looking for people who are organized and have developed farm 'soft skills' like attention to detail and careful observation, how to move from one task to another, how to work quickly, and how to pace yourself over a day and a season, as part of a team. That said, a mastery of systems is not necessary. Every farm is different, and we will happily train you in our methods of planting, cultivation, harvest and post-harvest.
The Crops Farmer will be an integral part of the field and greenhouse operations in collaboration with the Field Manager, Greenhouse Manager, Crops Director and team. The Crop Farmer will work within a team of farmers, researchers, and other experts to further the development of a resilient agro-ecological system, explore symbiotic relationships between animals, plant-base, and soil ecology, and contribute to farm innovation and experimentation. This position will also work directly with interns, volunteers and guests on the property.
This is a position for experienced farmers with 2 to 4 years of previous experience. A demonstrated commitment to learning new skills and supporting team members is essential for this role and will be prioritized above previous experience. We highly encourage applicants with diverse experiences who feel they can meet the job requirements to apply.
- Provide daily support for all necessary & specific production activities associated with outdoor vegetable, grain & flower cropping systems
- Assist in field prep, plantings, cultivation, irrigation, maintenance, harvesting and post harvesting processes
- Safely use, operate and maintain equipment, agricultural implements, power equipment, and hand tools
- Follow and maintain relevant crop records for field production [all field crop plans, planting and harvest notes]
- Coordinate with Field & Greenhouse Managers to fulfill harvest lists and delivery schedules with Residency and Labs programs
- Assist with programs including weekly chefs chores, organized tours, Lab programming, adult education, public interpretation and potential off-farm programming
- Assist in Lab development projects (breeding, crop trialing, preservation, arts & ecology)
- Will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned. This job description may be revised from time to time.
Desired Skills/ Knowledge:
- Experience on a production vegetable farm, preference for multiple years on the same farm
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. safely
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record
- Flexible and adaptable with a can-do, positive attitude
- Ability to balance attention to detail with efficiency and to work quickly
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to talk through directions for a task or process and ask for clarification where needed
- Ability to give and receive feedback
- Desire to learn and grow, both personally and professionally
- Interest in working multiple seasons with us
Compensation and Benefits
Stone Barns Center is committed to equity and inclusion throughout every aspect of our work and team. Our investment in education and development includes a salary commensurate with experience starting $42.000; 401k with employer match; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; and generous paid time off. This position is not exempt from overtime pay.
Compensation this position is : hourly, 35,568* - 50k Application instructions