Cook/Teacher The Farm School
- Date Posted January 14, 2022
- Location Athol, MA
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Full-Time
The Farm School is looking for highly motivated and energized cooks to join our Nourishment Team. The Nourishment Team consists of a Kitchen Coordinator and Cook Teachers, all who work closely with our Farmer Teachers to give an authentic farm and kitchen experience to visiting students.
The Farm School Kitchen is the hearth center, and the scene of a dynamic intergenerational cooking experience; we cook and eat together. The music is varied, and the menu inspired by the farm and everyone who shares our table. The Cook Teachers empower small groups of students in preparing various components of each meal, as well engaging in independent prep, dishwashing, organizational tasks and garden rotations. Opportunities for exploring other farm work and play areas available.
Qualities We’re Looking for:
- Love of cooking, professional experience appreciated, but not required
- Experience working collaboratively with youth in ways that exhibit respect, dependability and recognition of their value, autonomy and personhood
- Organized and able to manage time and details of responsibilities consistently
- Past organizational and/or personal work in areas that uplift racial equity and liberatory practices
- Desire to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Ability to work within a fluid schedule with many transitions
- Patient and clear communicator
- Able to lift and move items weighing up to 50 pounds
- Able to work in the cold (specifically our walk-in freezer space as needed)
- Familiarity with Google Suite
- Organize your work area, plans and programs in ways that uplift TFS mission and goals towards racial equity
- Participate in our growing consensus based decision making and distributed leadership culture, including staff meetings and facilitation rotation.
- Contribute to menu planning, preparation and serving for youth programming, up to 3 meals per day (5 days per week) plus snacks
- Hold an awareness of dietary and allergy related needs and protocols for staff and visiting youth/ adults. Ensure dietary needs are met throughout all stages of the food preparation and serving process
- Bring various aspects of your hobbies, interests and identities into your work, and share, as you would like, with youth and community
- Connect with youth and visiting teachers, be a team player, build relationships that engage youth in the fun, joy and relaxation possible on the farm
- Participate in programmatic activities including options, class, chores, variety shows, campfires, dish clean-up, evening activities, community meetings and opening and closing circles.
- Nourish a community feeling of openness as you prepare food and tend to the kitchen and dining spaces
- Work to keep all kitchen spaces clean and organized (including walk-in freezer), receive food orders,
- Follow all health code and Covid protocols expressed by TFS
- Participate in kitchen specific upkeep, staff meals and general farm work during non-program times
Hours: Full time position. Hours vary during programming, but will average out over the course of a year to around 40 - 50 per week. Mostly Monday - Friday, with participation in our staff weekend animal chore rotation, limited weekend fundraising events + some occasional weekend cooking events at additional pay. Given the nature of farming, when all-hands-on-deck scenarios arise (emergencies, seasonal tasks like hay, etc.) they may require your assistance – likewise folks will show up for kitchen needs that fall into this category).
Compensation: $38,000 - $45,000 (based on experience) + housing as it is available, health insurance (no dental), 6 weeks paid vacation, simple IRA w/ 2% annual contribution by TFS + farm fresh veggies, meat and eggs.
We serve diverse communities of students and we are striving to develop a staff that reflects that. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply to our open positions. The Farm School does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, sex, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin in any of its school administered policies or programs.Compensation this position is : salaried, 35,568* - 50k Application instructions