Gleaning Coordinator Long Table Harvest
- Date Posted January 17, 2022
- Location Germantown, NY
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
Our mission is to cultivate social and economic justice in the local food system through dynamic, inclusive and creative collaborations across our diverse rural community.Job description
Long Table Harvest Gleaning Coordinator Job Description 2022
We at Long Table Harvest are preparing for our seventh gleaning season this coming spring. We are fiscally sponsored by Social and Environmental Entrepreneurs. Our mission is to cultivate social and economic justice in the local food system through dynamic, inclusive and creative collaborations across our diverse rural community. We have gleaned over 254,000 pounds of gorgeous vegetables, fruit, meat, grains and dairy since 2016 from predominantly organic growers. For the 2022 season we are looking for a new person to join our team in the role of Gleaning Coordinator.
The Gleaning Coordinator position is essential to the work of Long Table Harvest. They are responsible for running all on-the-ground logistics of the Gleaning Program. Weekly from mid-April through November, the GC is on the road Mondays and Tuesdays picking up seedlings and a variety of food, which are then distributed out to our partner sites. We also run a small box-style CSA distribution that occurs in conjunction with the gleaning pick-up and distribution. Additional duties include sporadic in-field fruit gleaning, as well as some minimal winter and spring administrative support are available if desired. This is a position one can gain experience in managing and developing over the course of their employment.
- Maintaining relationships with 40+ farms and 30+ distribution sites
- Taking stock of donations and thinking ahead to ensure all sites are receiving an adequate amount of food based of their needs and preferences
- Driving a large cargo van safely and securely approximately 8-9 hours at a time
- Keeping records of pounds of food received by type and inputting into our online database every month
- Twice weekly social media posts to recap work done on Mondays and Tuesdays on the road. Additional posts can be made at GC’s discretion.
- Maintaining cargo van including on-time oil changes, any repairs that are needed, and annual state inspection.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Exceptional organization and communication skills
- Valid driver’s license and comfort driving a large cargo van
- Good record keeping ability
- Thoughtful and forward thinking / good at problem solving
- Knowledge of local foodshed and familiarity with produce / farms / farming
- Self-starter with good initiative and ability to work independently
Start Date, Schedule and Compensation:
Start Date: Monday, April 11th, 2022
- Mondays April to mid-June from 9am to approximately 4pm
- Mondays and Tuesdays mid-June through November from 7:30am to roughly 4:30pm
- Minimal work on Sunday and Monday evenings to reach out to farms about picking up produce the following days
- There are additional hours for in-field gleaning which vary based on farm availability from August - October as well as flexible hours devoted to social media posting and data input.
Compensation starts at $22/hour with an hourly increase for the second season. We will prioritize candidates who are willing to commit to at least two full seasons, barring any unforeseen circumstances. There is the possibility of some off-season hours helping with administration and fundraising.Compensation this position is : hourly, $20/hr + Application instructions