Seasonal Program & Production Asst. Pitney Meadows Community Farm
- Date Posted January 18, 2022
- Location Saratoga Springs, NY
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Full-Time
Founded in 2016, Pitney Meadows Community Farm’s mission is to celebrate and explore agricultural education, healthy food production and recreation. Located on 166 acres in the heart of the City of Saratoga Springs and preserved in perpetuity as a working farm, PMCF is a unique resource. We are committed to being good stewards of the land and serving the community that invested its tax dollars to preserve the Farm as open space.
PMCF offers a broad array of opportunities to engage with the land and our community. More than 100 plots are available to individuals, families and organizations to grow their own produce in our Community Garden, supported by an on-site Community Garden Director. In our 11-acre agricultural production area, our CSA members can pick their own vegetables, learn about sustainable farming, taste and learn to cook with new varieties of vegetables, and volunteer to support farm production. Our farm stand, open to visitors from dawn to dusk seven days a week, offers products from other local farms in addition to our own produce. An accessible trail system circles the farm, open to walkers, runners, bikers, and dogs on leashes. A planned Children’s Garden, adjacent to the Community Garden and Children’s Greenhouse, will create a learning and play environment geared to children and incorporating two small structures in which educational programs and events will be offered to entire community.
The Farm strengthens the local food system through our Farm to School Program, which brings fresh vegetables to the cafeterias of five local schools. In addition, the Farm donates more than 20,000 pounds of produce annually to food pantries and other social service organizations in the region.
Our farm is alive with creativity and dedicated community engagement, offering a productive and joyful place for volunteers, employees and visitors. As we continue to grow and develop new programs, we aim to create community, change lives, and bring people together on one of Saratoga’s most valuable community assets.Job description
This is a seasonal, full-time position that will report primarily to the Education Director, and also support Farm Manager and Community Garden Director as the seasonally-dependent workload requires. As a cross-organizational position, the Program Assistant will support the successful delivery of a suite of programs for the community by providing formal educational support in programs such as CSA Orientation and Guided Pick-Your-Own Harvests, as well as youth and other community programs. In addition to formal programs, this position will participate in farm vegetable production and sales operations to support the efforts of our food programs including the CSA, farm store and donation programs.
Program Development and Execution: Ensuring the successful delivery of a suite of programs for the community
- Assist the Education Director with the design, development and implementation of related programs (i.e. harvest cooking club, children’s garden club, floral arts programs, guided harvest, farm workshops).
- Report to Education Director and as needed, to the Farm Manager & Community Garden Director to support cross-organizational programs with seasonal activities and projects
- Set up, facilitate and breakdown educational programs
- Represent Pitney Meadows Community Farm in programs and engage with a diverse audience, including different demographic groups of children, adults, seniors and family groups
- Support food production and garden programming with physical tasks including: greenhouse work and propagation, weeding, planting, and crop fertility and pest management activities.
Program Administration: Ensuring the timely and accurate preparation of information and data necessary to deliver successful programs
- Maintain accurate participant and program records
- Submit requests for program materials in a timely manner
- Assist the Education Director with marketing and communications in collaboration with Communications and Marketing assistant, including program registration and participant confirmation
- Collect program evaluation data and support Education Director in the creation of seasonal summaries and grant related information as requested
Program Facilities, Equipment, and Safety: Ensuring that the physical resources are in place to provide safe and successful programs
- Follow all Pitney Meadows safety protocols; identify and correct any safety issues
- Organize and maintain program related equipment and materials, including live plants and other living specimen (worms, insects)
- Follow Pitney Meadows Community Farm’s Food Safety Plan
- An undergraduate degree in an applicable major or equivalent experience. Environmental science or education experience and/or coursework is desired.
- Experience working with a diverse range of learners in an outdoor educational setting
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well with a diverse team of people, including staff, community members and volunteers, in addition to the ability to work independently.
- Willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Willingness to complete First Aid & CPR certification training
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs and stand on feet for long periods of time
- Proficiency in basic computer applications, including familiarity with Google Workspace and Canva
- Work Tuesday - Saturday schedule with occasional evening hours, according to the program & events calendar
- Understanding of and enthusiasm for Pitney Meadows Community Farm’s mission
- Available to work mid-March through October/early November.
- Willingness to work a weekly schedule of Tuesday-Saturday