Market Garden Coordinator – Anaheim The Ecology Center
- Date Posted January 18, 2022
- Location Anaheim, CA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
The Ecology Center believes in a culture that gives more than it takes.
Our non-profit organization models creative solutions for thriving on planet earth. We believe everyone should have access to the tools, knowledge, and skills that promote healthy communities in the 21st century. We design spaces that inspire interaction with our ecosystem and transform our relationship with each other.
The Market Garden Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing the daily tasks associated with the planting, care, and maintenance of the 1 acre of vegetable production, orchard, and berry patch.
The primary functions of the The Ecology Center Market Garden at Magnolia are:
- Grow nutrient dense produce for sale and distribution to Anaheim Union High School District students & families, AUHSD Central Kitchen, and the surrounding community
- Educate AUHSD students with hands-on, experiential programming on the farm
- Cultivate community through volunteering, education and programming
- Experiment and develop culturally appropriate and site specific fruit, vegetable and floral varieties that thrive in our bioregion
- 2-3 years of experience with regenerative farming practices, including a practical understanding of:
- Principles and practices of organic market farming production, including principles of soil health, water conservation, and integrated pest management.
- Common farm equipment, including seeders, tilther, harvest equipment, BCS walk-behind tractor, and basic hand tools.
- Irrigation system set-up, repair, and scheduling.
- Knowledge of organic horticultural practices and crop production
- Ability to work independently in an outdoor setting during various weather conditions.
- Organized and able to follow a crop plan, prioritize critical tasks and work in a focused, timely, and efficient manner
- Be a team player, support your coworkers and maintain a positive, professional attitude
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds and perform physical tasks associated with farm work.
- Be in possession of a current California’s Driver’s License and auto insurance, as well as reliable transportation
- Must be willing to maintain a flexible work schedule, working weekends and evenings when needed.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with using spreadsheets
- Must pass a School District background check and fingerprint scan
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow and implement the Garden Crop Plan
- Coordinate day-to-day production of crops in the market garden, including planting, seeding, irrigating, cultivating, and harvesting
- Implement organic IPM practices to keep a balance of ecology in the garden. (Compost Tea Spraying, Organic Fertilizing, Pesticide applications, etc.)
- Maintain all inventory of all supplies needed for production, harvest, and post harvest handling
- Maintain a clean, organized and efficient workspace.
- Maintain production records in order to meet organic certification needs if needed
- Budget tracking: labor and supplies must be in balance with garden production
- Organize and supervise the work of interns, apprentices, or volunteers
- Oversee quality control and food safety.
- Interested in integrating educational opportunities with School District students
- Willingness to uphold organizational values
- Possesses the ability to collaborate and make decisions with diverse teammates
- Thrives in an agile and emergent environment
- Takes personal responsibility and possesses a curious mindset
- Takes initiative to proactively communicate
- Ensures a safe workplace and addresses safety issues as they arise
- Maintain a professional work environment that fosters a collaborative team spirit with respect for each individual
this position is : hourly, $20/hr +
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employees will also perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the Farm Director and/or his/her designee.