Development Associate Young Farmers
- Date Posted January 20, 2022
- Location Anywhere
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
The National Young Farmers Coalition (Young Farmers) shifts power and changes policy to equitably resource a new generation of working farmers. We envision a just future where farming is free of racial violence, accessible to communities, oriented towards environmental well-being, and concerned with health over profit. Since our founding in 2010, we have grown our grassroots network to over 200,000 farmers and supporters and have won historic investments in beginning farmer training, outreach to farmers of color, farmland conservation, and accessible COVID relief.
Job description Development Associate
Young Farmers seeks a full-time Development Associate to support our fundraising efforts, providing essential support to our development team as we collectively raise over $8 million in 2022. The Development Associate will play an important role on our development team, managing the Coalition’s development data and tracking our revenue across the organization, acknowledging our donors, and supporting with donor engagement and prospecting. They will bring strong organizational skills to manage a complex database of funders, grants, donations, and prospects. They will be a team player and support all of our development functions, with a focus on donor prospecting, events, and fundraising campaigns. The Development Associate is a remote position and will report to the Development Director.
Development Support (40%)
- Regularly coordinate with the finance team to track fundraising progress in coordination with organizational budget, ensuring that all donation revenue is tracked in our database and donors are acknowledged.
- Support development team and staff in relationship management including: outreach, scheduling, and follow up.
- Identify and research new donors, including corporate and foundation funding partners, individuals, and major gift prospects.
- Provide administrative support to the Director of Development including scheduling meetings, helping prepare for meetings (including meeting briefing documents), updating interactions in the database, drafting correspondence, and preparing documents.
- Support chapters, organizational partners, and farmers by providing fundraising support as needed.
Data Management (30%)
- Input and update information into the donor database and gift pipeline, ensuring accuracy and completeness.
- Coordinate tasks (e.g., schedule meetings, send donation receipts) for all donation opportunities.
- Ensure accuracy of data and perform routine data assessments and queries for reports, analysis, events, and mailings.
Individual Giving Support (15%)
- Support individual donor relations through tracking donations, writing appeals and acknowledgment letters and ensuring donor fulfillment is complete.
- Support individual giving campaigns through prospect research, donor communications, and donor engagement.
- Assist Development Director in planning and execution of fundraising events.
Grants Management (15%)
- Inputs grants and funder data using our database including grant information, reporting, and funder engagement.
- Supports Grants Manager and Development Director in creating templates and initial drafts for grant proposals and reporting, and compiles data from campaigns teams.
- Data Management Skills: Experience using a development and fundraising database (Salesforce preferred).
- Strong Communication: Excellent writing and proofreading skills with an ability to draft thought-provoking communications for varying audiences; timely and clear in communications and comfort with engaging over the phone, via email, and in person.
- Collaborative: Experience working collaboratively with remote colleagues, and serving as a resource for staff with varying degrees of familiarity and responsibilities on development. Experience using a variety of collaborative software such as Slack, Google Docs, and DropBox.
- Organized and Detail-Driven: Strong time management skills and experience meeting multiple project deadlines and objectives.
- Purpose-Driven & Equity Oriented: Familiarity and alignment with the mission of our organization. A demonstrated commitment to racial equity.
The ideal candidate may also have:
- Experience with collecting and analyzing fundraising metrics.
- Experience with a nonprofit organization, ideally in development
- Experience planning fundraising campaigns and coordinating events (virtual or in-person).
- Experience working on a farm or in food systems organizing.
Compensation and Schedule
- The annual salary for this role is $54,000 according to our 2022 Compensation Guidelines.
- Young Farmers offers a competitive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, retirement matching, generous paid time off, and paid family leave.
- Full-time schedule, typically 9am-5pm Monday through Friday. Flex time, or 1-to-1 paid time off, is available to staff when work requires more than 40 hours in any given week.