Team Leader Common Threads Farm +1 more
- Date Posted January 20, 2022
- Location Bellingham, WA
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Common Threads connects kids to healthy food in the garden, in the kitchen, and at the table. We want kids to grow up making food choices that are good for their bodies, their communities, and the environment. Founded in 2007 and based in Bellingham, Washington, Common Threads is a grassroots, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that nourishes curiosity, joy, bravery and community through seed-to-table education. Historically, most of our programs have taken place on public school grounds, during the school day. Common Threads also runs after-school gardening and cooking programs at schools and affordable housing complexes, and spring/summer camps at an urban farm site.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, programming continues to adapt to the changing needs of our community. At times, some work may need to be conducted virtually, and you can expect a hybrid work environment.
At Common Threads, we hold ourselves accountable (individually and as an organization) to a life-long learning journey to better understand the roles that each of us can most appropriately play in dismantling systemic racism and building a more just and equitable world. We welcome candidates of all racial and gender identities, cultural and economic backgrounds, and any sexual orientation to apply for employment and service opportunities.
Our ideal candidate for the AmeriCorps Team Leader position will be resilient, creative, resourceful, communicative, flexible and collaborative.
- Supervise, support, mentor and evaluate AmeriCorps Food Educators (with support and input from other core leadership staff)
- Oversee training and professional development for AmeriCorps Food Educators, interns, and volunteers; including coordination with both internal staff and outside trainers
- Oversee review and improvement of curricular and material resources for all programs
- Support AmeriCorps members in their relationships with schools and community partners
- Observe AmeriCorps members in their teaching roles, and offer constructive feedback
- Support Americorps members in complying with all data collection requirements of AmeriCorps (timesheets, participant numbers, teacher surveys, volunteer hours, stories of service)
- Review program evaluations (student, parent, teacher) and work closely with core leadership team to make programmatic adjustments/improvements as needed
- Ensure that AmeriCorps team members have the resources needed to perform excellent service
- Serve as liaison with school staff and staff at partner organizations. Ensure that Common Threads programs are well aligned with and supportive of school and other partner goals
Skills and Qualifications
- Passion for Common Threads’ mission of connecting kids with healthy food from seed to table
- Three or more years teaching experience - particularly in outdoor, experiential settings. Experience with culturally relevant and trauma informed teaching pedagogy, English language learners, Next Generation Science Standards, and International Baccalaureate is highly valued
- Two or more years supervisory experience - demonstrated ability to build relationships and manage/support a 15+ person team with varying experience levels
- Able to collaborate with a small and close-knit leadership team: responding, delegating, and coordinating as appropriate
- Creative, self-starting, candid, courageous, flexible and agile in the face of change, and able to have fun while getting things done
- Detail-oriented, organized, punctual, reliable: able to prioritize multiple tasks and
- Legacy/sustainability oriented – strong documentation and record-keeping skills
- Able and willing to travel between multiple sites (by foot, bike, bus, personal vehicle or Common Threads vehicle as appropriate)
- Strong computer skills and experience with virtual platforms and Google Suite.
Hours and Compensation
- Full Time (defined as 35+ hours/week), non-exempt
- Trust based work time and location
- 95% dental and medical premiums for employees (employees may add dependents at their own expense)
- 3% 401K retirement match
- Starting salary $38,220 with annual performance and cost of living increases