Greenhouse/Landscape Assistant Bright Spot Farm
- Date Posted January 21, 2022
- Location New Castle, DE
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Part-Time
Bright Spot Farm is an agriculture-focused training program. Founded in 2011 with the goal of providing paid employment training pathways for young adults. Bright Spot Farm currently provides meaningful hands-on work, experience and training to high school students from New Castle County, Delaware. Bright Spot Farm operates a working farm and nursery/garden center through which it trains youth and sells seasonal ornamental plants, vegetable and herb starts, and fresh chemical-free vegetables to the community. Our objective is to heal and empower the young people in our program by rooting farming and an appreciation of nature into an ethic of community service.Job description
The Seasonal Greenhouse/Landscape Assistant will work closely with the Greenhouse/Landscape Manager and will assist with all tasks related to greenhouse maintenance, production and landscaping. The Greenhouse/Landscape Assistant will be responsible for the oversight of our Young Farmers and volunteers on some occasions.
The desired candidate should have a genuine interest in plants and working with Youth. This is a seasonal position that begins in March and ends in December.
- The position requires regular physical labor, and experience using tools, and equipment, and carrying up to 40 pounds.
- Assist Greenhouse/Landscape Manager in the installation, and maintenance of landscaping projects in accordance with contracts and grants.
- Assist in the production and maintenance of greenhouse plants
- Assist in greenhouse sales, managing inventory, orders and deliveries
- Assist in watering & fertilizing plants as directed.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS & ABILITIES
- Ability to receive instruction both verbally and in writing, be comfortable with giving and receiving regular feedback and able to quickly adapt to changes for a variety of tasks.
- Follow direction and freely ask for clarification as needed.
- Willing to work a flexible schedule, including weekends
- Reliable transportation or ability to commute to farm.
Prior experience is preferred but not required. Must pass a State of Delaware background check.
COMPENSATION: $15/HOUR, 15 -20 hours/week (hours may vary), March- DecemberCompensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Application instructions