Manager for the LGVC Seed Savers Exchange +4 more
- Date Posted May 16, 2022
- Location Decorah, IA
- Category Business / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- As the buyer, research new merchandise; determine replenishment needs according to stock levels of products; order products from vendors.
- Merchandise and curate products to make them inviting; follow basic principles of merchandising (e.g. abundance, balance, placement). Create seasonal displays.
- Plan pop-up informal mini events to boost sales; offer hands-on interactive displays to enhance visitor experience.
- Oversee the appearance of the LGVC and areas around the building, including the office, checkout area, front gardens, hanging baskets, sidewalks, and paths. Make sure the building is locked and secure at night.
- Answer customer inquiries and concerns.
- Collaborate with the Education Manager on implementation of large interdepartmental events held at the LGVC.
- Engage with the local community for relationship and reciprocity.
- Attend the Decorah Chamber of Commerce Retail Meetings quarterly.
- Work the large events each season-Plant Sale, Conference and Campout, and the concert (required).
- Order transplants and other live merchandise and prepare them for sale at the Plant Sale each year.
- Accurately enter purchase orders into NetSuite, making sure the inventory item number, quantity, and rate matches the vendor’s invoice.
- Formulate pricing on merchandise according to requirements for profitability of store operations.
- Responsible for supervising two full-time hourly employees.
- Plan and prepare work schedules and assign employees to specific duties to include general cleaning, ticketing of products when they arrive, replenishing stock, sending out brochures, working with live plants, and keeping the store organized.
- Ensure compliance of employees with established security, sales and recordkeeping procedures and practices.
- Make sure staff have the required merchandise and gardening training to successfully answer SSE visitor questions and assist with their needs.
- Make sure the staff has a clear understanding of SSE's mission to effectively communicate with customers.
- Communicate with staff on ideas and operational expectations.
- Communicates effectively with the Director of Business and Sales through emails, phone calls, and/or meetings as needed.
- Working knowledge of office software such as Microsoft Office or Google Docs (word processing, spreadsheets, presentation) Proficient with Point of Sales Systems
- Ability to use, or learn to use NetSuite, or other CRM based software.
- Punctuality and dependability with a strong work ethic
- Friendly, patient, and responsive; must enjoy interacting with the general public
- Collaborative with staff for interdepartmental matters
- Excellent communication skills and ability to focus and prioritize
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in a fast pace environment
Physical Requirements: Able to tend to store requirements and/or garden duties that will involve bending, stretching, kneeling, walking and lifting (up to 35 lbs).
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, or commensurate experience
- Gardening knowledge and skills preferred; interest in and desire to learn about gardening and seeds is essential
- Business/retail skills required
- Employee/children health insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Long Term Disability
- Paid Life Insurance
- 40% discount on merchandise
- 401K retirement plan
- Wellness benefit