- Date Posted July 09, 2022
- Location New York, NY
- Category Media / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
GrowNYC is a 51-year-old environmental nonprofit organization - helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life.
- Our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites and Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
- We blanket the five boroughs with resources like textile and food scrap collection, Stop 'N' Swaps, as well as free training to make waste reduction easy for all.
- We build and support community and school gardens through volunteer days, technical assistance, training, grants and more.
- We provide 70,000 children each year with programs that provide meaningful interactions with the natural environment.
Note to applicants on COVID safety: GrowNYC is committed to stopping the spread of Covid-19. All new hires must be able to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination during the onboarding process. Employees are also required to follow COVID safety protocols as the situation evolves, which may include daily health screenings, mask wearing, and other mitigation measures as deemed necessary by local conditions, mandates, and applicable guidelines.Job description
The Communications Lead is a key staff member within the Advancement Team. At the direction of the Director of Advancement (DoA), they will help create and execute an innovative communications and marketing strategy touching all aspects of the organization. This includes responsibility for organizational brand identity, press engagement, and strategic communications with external stakeholders.
This is a great opportunity for an ambitious professional to leverage their expertise and create high-impact communications to help tackle the biggest environmental and food access issues of our time.
Communications Lead Responsibilities (Include but are not limited to):
Press and Media
- Under supervision of DoA and in consultation with communications consultant, design and implement comprehensive communication plan that elevates GrowNYC’s brand awareness, program participation, and highlights program impact through earned/paid media, events, search engine optimization, program collateral, newsletters, blog posts, web content, social media, etc.
- Create a workplan, in consultation with DoA, that clearly outlines metrics for success.
- Craft compelling press releases, media advisories, statements, quotes, letters to the editor, op eds, etc. regarding GrowNYC’s impact and vision, including any relevant policy viewpoints or issue advocacy.
- Manage organizational messaging calendar and generate content acknowledging and responding to important public moments.
- Work with DoA and communications consultant to craft media pitches, respond to inquiries, and position GrowNYC as a leading voice among the grass tops community, i.e., elected officials, philanthropists, and policymakers.
- Monitor press regarding GrowNYC, our staff and board, and the issues that we work on for press opportunities.
- Sustain and expand GrowNYC’s media footprint by building and maintaining press lists and stewarding media relationships.
- Collaborate with communications consultant on organizing press conferences, briefings, and other public events.
- Work with Advancement Team to leverage GrowNYC press for fundraising purposes.
- Assist with drafting and proof fundraising materials such as grant materials, fundraising collateral, direct mail, and other communications.
- Work with DoA and web design consultant to launch a new GrowNYC website in Q4 2022.
- Maintain a singular voice on grownyc.org and regularly update website content, ensuring posting of timely subject matter.
- Collaborate with staff of partner organizations to amplify GrowNYC’s work in the media and contribute to any grass roots/grass tops press strategies.
- Collaborate with Social Media Lead to ensure uniform communications strategy across all social media channels.
- Ensure adherence and continual use of GrowNYC brand guidelines and communications best practices.
- Review all internal and external organization collateral to ensure brand guidelines adherence, including org-wide documents, market signage, flyers, photography, video, web presence, email newsletters, etc.
- Advise and assist program staff with communications tasks, including messaging and framing; copy editing high priority written content (e.g., foundation reports/proposals, letters of support, and newsletters, etc.)
- Draft President and Board member remarks for events as needed (e.g., quarterly investor calls, receptions, etc.)
- Applicant should have 4+ years of experience in PR/Communications.
- Knowledge of the U.S. and NYC media landscape and its players
- Ability to take initiative and problem-solve, while managing multiple projects at once with little oversight
- Effective presentation and verbal communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to apply sound judgment about sharing information internally and externally
- Commitment to the mission of GrowNYC
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
Monday to Friday, 9-5pm, 35-40 hours a week. This is a hybrid role with minimum 2 days in our Manhattan office.
The position is exempt, full-time, and salaried. It pays $65-80k, commensurate based on experience. and includes full benefits.
GrowNYC is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical disability. Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline