Garden Educator The Green Heart Project
- Date Posted August 02, 2022
- Location Charleston, SC
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Part-Time
Founded in 2009, The Green Heart Project is a 501c3 non-profit organization that builds experiential learning projects and school garden programs in the Charleston area. With a high value placed on health, education and community, The Green Heart Project pairs local volunteers with students to maintain school gardens while teaching academic standards, food & nutrition and interpersonal skills. The Green Heart Project currently reaches over 2,200 students across thirteen partner sites and offers a Youth Internship Program for high school students. For more information, please visit our website at www.greenheartsc.org.Job description
Are you passionate about food, health, and outdoor education? Do you love working with kids and volunteers? If so, we want you to join the Green Heart Project team as a part-time or full-time Garden Educator!
The Green Heart Project seeks skilled educators to lead its Farm to School programs at select partner schools. Green Heart’s Farm to School programs are conducted in partnership with 18 school and community partners in the Charleston area.
The Garden Educator’s primary responsibilities are to lead garden-based learning activities for elementary school, middle, and high school students, including garden and culinary lessons, maintain school gardens and to build strong relationships with all members of the school community. The Garden Educator also manages volunteers to help them complete their scope of work. Garden Educator Job Description.
Apply TODAY – we can’t wait to hear from you! Desired start date: August 29th
The Garden Educator’s primary responsibility is to lead garden-based learning activities for elementary and middle school students, including hands-on lessons in the garden and culinary classes, and build strong relationships with all school community members. This position plays a key role in strengthening students’ understanding of garden and kitchen connections, as well as how the food we grow affects themselves, their community, and the planet.
Areas of Focus: Educational Planning and Instruction (60%), Community Outreach (20%), Garden Maintenance (20%)
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Educational Planning and Instruction 60%
- Plan, prepare, and deliver Green Heart weekly lesson plans that facilitate active learning.
- Instruct and monitor groups of 12-25 students at a time.
- Ensure that the garden is prepared adequately for all students, volunteers, and school staff to use as an outdoor classroom.
- Lead and coach Green Heart Buddy volunteers throughout instruction to ensure student success.
- Confer weekly with the Green Heart programs team for lesson planning and delivery.
- Communicate weekly to coordinate lesson times and logistics with teachers and staff at partner schools, volunteer Green Heart Buddies, and other Green Heart Project staff members.
- Plan and coordinate Green Heart programs at least twice per semester with partner school staff members.
- Acquire and organize all lesson supplies and materials for assigned programs.
- Assist with Youth Internship Program, as needed throughout the year.
- Other duties/tasks as assigned.
Community Outreach 20%
- Take part in at least two community engagement events per semester at assigned Green Heart partner schools, such as Farm to Cafeteria activities, science fairs, staff meetings, PTA meetings, etc.
- Serve as a team player, leading and assisting on other organizational tasks, including but not limited to planning and executing public events.
- Other related assignments as necessary.
Garden Maintenance 20%
- Conduct weekly garden maintenance and upkeep at assigned partner schools, including watering, weeding, compost management, etc., with support and direction from the Farm and Garden team.
- Participate in all “Garden Workday” volunteer events at assigned partner schools.
- Other related assignments as necessary.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
- Must have bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience and training.
- Must have experience teaching or leading elementary, middle, or high school students in a structured setting, ideally in food, farming, or health education.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, as well as verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills and meeting apps, including collaborative applications such as Microsoft Suite or Google Workspace.
- Must be comfortable with “getting your hands dirty” and working in an outdoor environment on a regular basis.
- Skilled in group management (students and adult volunteers).
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. Travel Required 5-10% locally.
- Demonstrated strong teamwork skills.
- Strong commitment to promoting and supporting health, education, and volunteerism.
- Ability to create a safe and inclusive space for a diverse community of stakeholders.
- High level of motivation and commitment to support and facilitate The Green Heart Project’s mission and philosophy.
- Ability to collaborate with a variety of school systems and community partners to build a positive public relationship.
- This position may be required to work outside of general operating hours of business, including weekends and/or evenings.
- Regularly works in outdoor weather conditions, including but not limited to, exposure to extreme temperatures such as heat or cold.
- Ability to frequently bend, reach, stoop, squat, pivot, turn, balance, walk, pull, and lift and carry up to 50lbs.
- Ability to quickly move hands and arms sufficiently to grasp, hold, finely manipulate that allows for all job duties to be fulfilled.
The Green Heart Project believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to the success of our mission. We encourage applications from candidates of all races, religions, genders, ages, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Additional Information: The Green Heart Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability, or any other federal, state, or local protected class.
Employment Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: $15.00 - $23.00 per hour
COVID-19 considerations: The Green Heart Project follows the COVID-19 safety precautions implemented by our school partners.Compensation this position is : hourly, $20/hr + Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline