Sous Chef Emma Hearth and Market +1 more
- Date Posted August 02, 2022
- Location Bridgman, MI
- Category Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
At Emma Hearth & Market we are driven by the pursuit of making and sharing the best tasting, nutrient dense, most healthy food possible. Our inspiration is our family tradition from southern Italy, combined with local farm foods from the Michigan region plus a twist of modern day urban/ Chicago culinary influence.
We started as Live Station Farm in 2013 in Coloma MI, a certified organic grower and producer in Southwest Michigan and then in 2015 built a mobile wood fired pizza food truck and farmers market called EMMA Hearth & Market, named after Nonna Emma who is from Calabria - the bottom of the boot, just across from Sicily.
We took the food truck all over SW MI, Southbend and Chicago to farmers markets, breweries and wineries - it was amazing but tiring, so we’re excited to have a brick and mortar where people join us year round! We also love to have our employees visit and do a bit of work on the farm too, so you can tell the story of where our products come from! We also very carefully source our ingredients and products for sale in the market, so we will often share more on those from a health and origin standpoint.
We are excited to have a brick and mortar now in Bridgman Michigan and be around year-round to bring people healthy and tasty authentic Italian food, as well as the best alcohol Europe and SW MI has to offer! We are passionate about this endeavor and want our employees to be as well. We believe success starts with happy employees and that “Hospitality is a team sport,” as Danny Meyer said in his philosophy The Virtuous Cycle of Enlightened Hospitality. This cycle consists of a business' five main stakeholders: the employees, the customers, the community, the suppliers, and the investors. As the fuel we are aware that happy, well cared for and smart employees who want to learn and impact positive change in the world create happy and satisfied customers who keep coming back!Job description
In addition to preparing food ordered during service hours for customers and ensuring the highest quality is delivered, the Sous Chef’s responsibility will be to manage and help as needed with the kitchen staff (set up, tear down and cleaning of prep stations, the kitchen and dishes + stock/ prep food to the Chef’s specifications for menu execution). In our kitchen you'll find a focus on positivity, encouragement and fun, but also hard work as we have high expectations for quality and strive to make the best food possible every time!
- Be on time and ready to work for your shift
- Adhere to company quality and food safety protocols (especially Covid related as needed)
- Assist the head chef and kitchen manager with daily tasks
- Maintain proper standards for expected day-to day-responsibilities including set-up, prep, service execution, and cleaning
- Execute best practices in food handling and storage, and ensure guidelines are followed to prevent illness or spoilage
- Practice basic knife skills
- Learn the menu and be able to work all prep/ pizza stations
- Multitask and practice a sense of urgency
- Pay strong attention to detail and demonstrate the ability to keep things tidy, organized and clean.
- Possess a strong sense of pride and ownership in their work
- Ask questions, keep learning, and stay positive
- Opening/ closing the setup or shutdown of food make lines including food storage and cleaning
- Completes the list of tasks associated with the shift worked (stock/ restock; clean; prepare packaging)
- Prep dough and other ingredients for service
- Work your assigned station with accuracy, efficiency and speed
- Organize walk in and rotate products as needed
- Make note of / communicate needed items every day
- Keep station clean throughout shift and do deep cleans weekly
- Follow all applicable health and sanitation procedures/ adhere to all safe work practices
- Effectively communicate with Team Members and Store Leadership
- Model and provide exceptional Customer Service as needed
- Receive and put away orders; communicate invoices to bookkeeping (eg shortages or wrong items)
- Conduct weekly/ daily deep clean tasks; Completes the list of tasks associated with the shift worked
- Conduct daily/ weekly inventory and ordering, plus report lows, highs and out of stocks to kitchen and market manager to help maintain inventory
- Along with the front supervisor this role will train, mentor and coach Team Members to succeed
- Ensure Team Member compliance of all relevant Emma Hearth and Market policies and standards
- Provide feedback to management to write and administer performance reviews
- Effectively communicate with Customers, Team Members and Store Leadership.
- Receive and put away orders; communicate invoices to bookkeeping (with shortages or wrong items)
Full-time (40 hrs per week) - Shifts available Wednesday-Fri 1pm-10pm; Sat-Sun 11am-10pm. Includes paid vacation and option for health benefits and 401K. This position does require weekend and holiday availability. We also offer other benefits like free weekly meals, and market/ menu discounts. Note that we do conduct a training/ trial period of 4 week at which time fit is determined.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline