Staff Butcher Foster Sundry +1 more
- Date Posted August 04, 2022
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Culinary / Production
- Job type Full-Time
Foster Sundry is an artisan cheese counter, whole animal butcher, cafe and specialty grocer in Bushwick, Brooklyn.
We're the place where you can walk in and drink a beer while buying a pasture-raised steak and a hunk of clothbound cheddar; where you can grab a cup of coffee and ask questions about biodynamic farming methods; where you can stop in just to sample some gouda and walk out with a plan for dinner and a new favorite food. We strive to be the local destination for really good ingredients with down-to-earth customer service and a warm and welcoming environment that encourages people to come in, come back, and hang out. Meat. Cheese. Awesome.
* Foster Sundry is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply.
* Robust COVID-19 safety protocols are in place to help protect staff and customers alike. All employees are fully vaccinated and boosted, and this is a requirement for all applicants as well.
We are committed to sourcing humanely-farmed animals raised in the Northeastern US without the use of growth hormones, steroids, or sub-therapeutic antibiotics. We buy whole animals, processing them in our shop with a nose-to-tail approach.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The staff butcher is an integral position at the shop. They will merchandise the meat counter, break down and process animals, maintain a clean and safe work environment, provide excellent customer service, and contribute creativity and a positive attitude to a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
Butcher Counter Responsibilities:
- Unloads and processes deliveries
- Prepares primals and sub-primals for retail sale
- Merchandises the retail meat case for daily sale / breaks down case at end of day
- Prepares sausage, pate, charcuterie, dog treats, and other value-added items for sale
- Arranges special orders for customers
- Educates customers on how to best cook and use our products.
Safety and Cleanliness Responsibilities:
- Performs regular equipment service, cleaning, and maintenance.
- Maintains clean, safe, and organized walk-ins and back-stock areas.
- Adheres to the daily, weekly, and monthly cleaning schedule for the department.
- Works with management to document HACCP protocols in all relevant areas of meat production.
- Maintains compliance with store health and safety policies.
- Adheres to store policies in line with requirements of relevant oversight bodies (including the NYC Health Dept; Ag & Markets; FDA; etc.).
- 1+ years experience in butchering whole animals.
- Familiarity with producers and supply chain logistics for meat in the Northeast US.
- A positive attitude and an enthusiastic desire to provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to lift 50+ lbs and spend 8+ hours standing.
- Passion for the principles of specialty food, local agriculture, and sustainable meat production.
- Flexibility in scheduling, including weekends and holidays.
- Experience working on small teams towards a common goal.
- Desire to build something from the ground up, and make it great.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline