- Date Posted September 07, 2022
- Location New York, NY
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
GrowNYC is a 51-year-old environmental nonprofit organization - helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life.
- Our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites and GrowNYC Wholesale program ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
- We blanket the five boroughs with resources like textile and food scrap collection, Stop 'N' Swaps, as well as free training to make waste reduction easy for all.
- We build and support community and school gardens through volunteer days, technical assistance, training, grants and more.
- We provide 70,000 children each year with programs that provide meaningful interactions with the natural environment.
Note to applicants on COVID safety:
GrowNYC is committed to stopping the spread of COVID-19. All new hires must be able to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination during the onboarding process. Employees are also required to follow COVID safety protocols as the situation evolves, which may include daily health screenings, mask wearing, and other mitigation measures as deemed necessary by local conditions, mandates, and applicable guidelines.Job description
About Zero Waste Schools
Since 2010, GrowNYC’s Zero Waste Schools (ZWS) has developed model recycling programs and designed unique and engaging educational materials for use at public schools throughout NYC.
Beginning in the Fall of 2022, a 2-year expansion will bring curbside composting services to all public and private schools in NYC that receive New York City Department of Sanitation (DSNY) collections. Working in close partnership with Department of Education (DOE) Office of Sustainability and DSNY, GrowNYC will provide support to schools newly receiving these services. This exciting expansion will mean that NYC schools are able to divert as much as 86% of their waste from landfill, getting the city closer to reaching the important climate goal of zero waste to landfill.
Administrative Coordinator, Zero Waste Schools
Reporting to the GrowNYC Zero Waste Schools Director, the Administrative Coordinator is a highly organized, get-the-job-done, technically savvy person. The Administrative Coordinator will provide general administrative support to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the Zero Waste Schools program, including data tracking, communications, reporting, and materials management.
Administrative Coordinator Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Assist with managing our extensive school database solution including pulling, organizing, and maintaining FileMaker data
- Work with FileMaker developer to add new features, update existing features and troubleshoot bugs within our solution
- Generate daily, weekly, and monthly reports to track staff time, site visits and activities
- Process and track reimbursement requests from ZWS team
- Assist with financial records for partner invoicing
- Create and maintain a timeline and workflow for reporting to ZWS partners
- Maintain inventories for all educational materials and promotional items
- Assist with ordering materials and supplies
- Respond to phone and email inquiries regarding school waste topics and refer calls to appropriate staff, agency, or organization
- Make periodic updates to recycling content on GrowNYC ZWS webpage
- Help plan and organize program events with schools and partner organizations
- Assist with planning and scheduling ZWS staff trainings
- Provide support for ZWS virtual workshop series including creation of event invitation, promotion, tracking of registrations, technical support during event and attendee follow-up
- Contribute content for staff, partner and program newsletters and social media
- Possesses a skill set that includes solid professional knowledge and expertise in office management, planning and organizing, adherence to deadlines and timelines, adaptability, overall positive attitude, and team player.
- Highly organized with the ability to meet multiple deadlines and prioritize responsibilities
- Computer literate with high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel
- Knowledge of FileMaker or similar database applications
- Passionate about composting, recycling, and waste reduction, with a desire to support and collaborate with others
- Confident and comfortable taking initiative to independently complete tasks, improve processes and communicate/train staff on updated procedures
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Comfortable communicating and working with people from diverse backgrounds in terms of race, ethnicity, gender (including trans* and nonbinary), sexual orientation, class, and religion
- Ability to work well with others to solve problems
- Valid New York Driver’s License preferred, not required
- Experience with event coordination
- Knowledge of environmental education strategies
- Experience with NYC school system including knowledge of key school stakeholders and school operations
- Social media savvy and proficient in Canva and Adobe programs
Qualified candidates for the Administrative Coordinator position should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis starting 9/9. Due to the volume of employment applications received, GrowNYC is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate. No phone calls or recruiters, please.
Application deadline is September 23, 2022.
P.O. Box 2327
New York, NY 10272
For additional information, please see our website: grownyc.org
Additional Eligibility Requirements
All offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of the DOE Eligibility Clearance Procedures, which include, but are not limited to, DOE fingerprinting procedures and background investigations, as well as final funding approval from the City of New York.
The Administrative Coordinator should be able to lift 30lbs and operate a vehicle. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential duties.
The Administrative Coordinator is a full-time position, 35-40hrs per week and may include some early mornings, late evenings, and occasional weekends.
The full-time, nonexempt Administrative Coordinator position pays $50,000 - $54,000 annually and includes benefits (medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long-term disability, incentive savings plan and paid time off). Anticipated funding for this position is for 2 years, from July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2024, with the possibility of extension pending further funding and contract renewal
The Administrative Coordinator will work primarily out of the GrowNYC offices with occasional trips to the storage facility, schools or DOE/DSNY partner offices.
GrowNYC is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical disability.