FOH Farm to Table Cafe Team Member Local Roots NYC +4 more
- Date Posted September 19, 2022
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Agriculture / Culinary
- Job type Part-Time
At Local Roots, we believe in the power of community. That we can connect fellow New Yorkers and sustainable family farmers. That if we work together, we can heal our broken food system and create a healthier, more delicious, just and sustainable future for all of us. We’re looking for a dynamic, hard-working team player to join the FOH team of our Market Café. This role reports to our Market Café General Manager.Job description
We’re looking for a dynamic, hard-working team player to join the FOH team of our Market Café team. This role is the friendly face of our storefront and serves as an enthusiastic resource for customers to help start their local food journey with us. This role reports to our Market Café General Manager and Founder.
We are building our opening team and bringing on a versatile and flexible team of friendly New Yorkers. This position focuses on customer service, education, counter service, event execution, and drink and light food preparation. Responsibilities include:
- Local Roots Ambassador: Educating customers on the mission of Local Roots, the fresh and seasonal ingredients available in the market, and how to cook these items. Comfortable speaking about our food system and getting others excited about eating local.
- Customer Service: Work the front counter and ring up Market orders using Square POS systems. Prepare coffee, tea, and mixed drinks, and serve pastries and light savory items. Provide excellent customer service and foster a sense of community among guests.
- Food Preparation: Receive and process deliveries. Handle food in a safe and compliant manner. Plate hot dishes as part of our dinner menu.
- Event Execution: be the friendly face onsite to help execute diverse community and private events in an effort to offer seamless dining experiences to fellow New Yorkers
- Market Support: Receive process market deliveries. Stage and restock market shelves.
- Covid-19 Compliance: We are opening during a Pandemic. All Team Members will be responsible for keeping the Market and Café safe and clean, and will be empowered to enforce Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and reduced indoor capacity requirements as mandated by New York City. Proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required for all team members.
Local Roots is a small and busy team - the ideal candidate is:
- A punctual, reliable and responsive partner: You are a self starter and a real team player. We want you to be all-in and a key member of our team! You're eager to step in and help with any part of the diverse projects and tasks that come up as part of a small, grassroots business.
- Able to represent Local Roots as a thoughtful and passionate advocate for local farmers and fellow New Yorkers - you are committed to learning the ins-and-outs of the Local Roots mission and share it with the community
- Willing and ready to get their hands dirty and enter into the work with the understanding that this position includes diverse responsibilities that will continue to adapt to the growing business
- Versatile and flexible - comfortable with multi-tasking across a variety of detailed tasks at once and able to maintain a calm demeanor even during busy times
- Empathetic and thoughtful - excellent communication and listening skills, particularly with customers, wholesale vendors, and one another. You are committed to communicating clearly with Local Roots Management at all times, including voicing any concerns from customer communications
- Has a strong sense of urgency, accountability, and ownership: you can work quickly and efficiently while staying calm in a fast paced environment
- Able to routinely lift and carry 50lb boxes
- Able to work on your feet while on-shift
- Prior kitchen, culinary, or retail experience required***
Hours, Availability, and Compensation
- This is a part-time position, up to 8 hour shifts, approx. 24-30 hours/week with the option to expand into full-time
- We ask for a general availability commitment during the interview process, mornings or evenings. We are happy to give you more information about the shifts during the interview process, though generally there will be a morning and evening shift.
- The Market and Café is located in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn
- This position is paid hourly ($16) and receives tips cash and credit
- Restaurant, hospitality, customer service, or grocery experience preferred
- New York Food Handlers card or ServSafe food handlers certification required
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineOctober 15, 2022