General Manager, Farm-to-table Cafe Local Roots NYC +4 more
- Date Posted September 19, 2022
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Business / Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
At Local Roots, we believe in the power of community. That we can connect fellow New Yorkers and sustainable family farmers. That if we work together, we can heal our broken food system and create a healthier, more delicious, just and sustainable future for all of us. That together, we're unstoppable.
We’re looking for an experienced, empathetic, and proactive leader to join our team as General Manager. You take on ownership of our concept, oversee and develop operations to maximize efficiency and quality control, lay the framework and foundation for our work culture, and help our Team grow and develop their career paths. You will be accountable for overseeing our new Market & Cafe’s operational, financial, and community success. This is a full-time role that reports to the Founder and CEO of Local Roots.
The General Manager is the leader and operator of the Local Roots Market Café. Core responsibilities include:
- Space Management: You will be the key accountable Local Roots team member responsible for daily operations and larger improvement projects at the Cafe. This includes taking ownership over all operations and management, team onboarding, hiring, and scheduling, health code and Covid-19 compliance, and daily cleanliness and organization of the cafe space.
- Team Management: You will own the scheduling, training, and performance of your Team, and be committed to their growth and development. You believe in a two-way feedback loop, and strongly believe in empathetic, compassionate, and supportive leadership.
- Customer Experience and Quality Control: You will be responsible for customer service and experience across all of the Market Cafés amenities (In-house Food and Beverage Program, Grocery, Photo Studio, Events, and Wellness Room). You will be accountable for the quality control of all recipes, grocery items, catering, events, photo studio and Local Roots Brand Standards. You have experience in de-escalation and approach each interaction seeking to understand, rather than be understood.
- Operations Management: You will be the key accountable individual for all Market Café operations, including workflow, labor, all processes and systems, all job aids and standard operating procedures, quality control protocols, health code compliance, supply chain relationships (ordering + inventory), and facility maintenance. You will ensure that appropriate tools & processes are implemented to provide insights to the Local Roots leadership team and drive accountability across Market Café Operations.
- Financial Management: Full P&L responsibility for COGS and all operational activities. You have a clear understanding of the budget vs. actuals and are comfortable actively managing Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). You will support Local Roots by identifying opportunities to negotiate cost savings, enforce portioning standards, and closely monitor inventory to reduce waste and monitor spends. You will handle the ordering for the Market Café, and all invoicing procedures.
Local Roots is a small and busy team - the ideal candidate is:
- A committed and thoughtful manager: you put the work experience of your Team first, and take their growth and development seriously. You’re able to navigate conflict and find creative solutions.
- Empathetic and thoughtful: you have excellent communication and listening skills, particularly with customers, wholesale vendors, and your Team. You are committed to communicating clearly with Local Roots Leadership, voicing any concerns and feedback from customer communications and from the Team.
- Responsible, accountable, proactive, and resourceful: you are able to take ownership over your work and team, actively problem solve, and make decisions even in times of uncertainty and time sensitivity. You are able to find the pain points in systems and make changes for improvement.
- Able to represent Local Roots as a thoughtful and passionate advocate for local farmers and fellow New Yorkers: you are committed to learning the ins-and-outs of the Local Roots mission and understand the educational components of sustainable agriculture and local food systems in order to be able to share this knowledge with the community
- Willing and ready to get their hands dirty, and enter into the work with the understanding that this project is a new extension of the Local Roots business: this is a new business concept opening for the first time - be prepared to problem solve, wear many hats, and bring an optimistic, enthusiastic attitude!
Prior Work Experience
- 3-5 years of Management experience leading hospitality or food and beverage teams in high-paced environments required
- Demonstrated ability to constructively give feedback and build respectful relationships among team members
- Restaurant, hospitality, customer service, or grocery experience required
- You must be comfortable using software-based applications such as Square Point of Sale, Google Sheets, and Slack
- New York Food Handlers card or ServSafe food handlers certification required
- Able to routinely lift and carry 50lb boxes
- Able to work on your feet while on-shift
- Prior cooking or culinary experience strongly preferred
Timeline, Compensation, and Benefits
- This is a full-time position, 40 hours/week (with a firm cap of 50 hours/week)
- The Market and Café is located in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, and will be open Wednesday through Sunday (closed Monday/Tuesday), from 8:00am-7:00pm. These operating hours are subject to change.
- This position is salaried at $55,000/year with annual raise evaluations
- 40-hours Vacation Time and 40-hours accrued Sick Time
- This position receives a complimentary weekly share of organic vegetables
- This position enjoys a daily comped entrée and unlimited coffee and tea from the Market & Cafe
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineOctober 08, 2022