Baker/Cook The Hamlin School +2 more
- Date Posted September 20, 2022
- Location San Francisco, CA
- Category Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
Hamlin is a vibrant and inclusive community that expects and encourages diversity of thought, experience, and beliefs. Thus, we actively seek the honest perspectives of people who differ from each other in culture, ethnicity, family structure, financial resources, gender identity, learning profile, physical ability, race, religion, and sexual orientation. All members of the Hamlin community share responsibility for its well-being, and each person plays an active role in making space for us to be our authentic selves. We join this community with a courageous commitment to personal and collective growth. We show compassion to each other, knowing that true learning involves mistakes and imperfection. We treat each other with respect as we celebrate both our interdependence and our individual differences.
Our food program is not only central to our commitment to health and wellness at Hamlin; the program also deepens the sense of belonging and inclusivity that is felt on our campus. The Hamlin food program celebrates the ethnic and religious diversity of the community; our time spent in the dining room reinforces the simple yet profound goals of learning from each other, respecting and valuing our differences, and building a joyful community. Job description The Hamlin School Kitchen is a farm to school cafeteria serving 550 students and faculty daily. We pride ourselves on creating healthy, delicious food sourced from local growers in our scratch kitchen. We are currently seeking a baker/prep cook to make a rotating menu of weekly desserts, served on Fridays, and to help with general kitchen prep. We offer excellent benefits and family friendly work hours. This position is 7am-3pm Monday-Friday with no weekends and very few evenings required.
The Baker & Prep Cook is responsible for the following:
- Prepare: produce a variety of sweet and savory pastries and desserts including cupcakes, cakes, pies, granolas, cookies, cheesecakes, bars and vegan and gluten free desserts
- Ensure: pastries and desserts are baked with quality and production goals in mind of serving dessert once a week for 550 people and as needed for special events.
Other duties include:
- Assist with daily lunch prep tasks (washing, chopping, cutting)
- Assist with daily lunch service in a high volume school cafeteria (replenishing food and tidying)
- Assist with food production and planning for events as needed.
- Help maintain a pleasant, professional and productive working environment as well as maintaining a welcoming atmosphere to the students and faculty.
- Help keep kitchen clean and sanitary (equipment, floors, walk-ins, dry goods, front of house, deep cleaning projects when time allows).
- Follow sustainable practices as much as possible.
- Desired Skills
- Experience with from scratch production; excellent baking skills are essential
- Culinary Degree or 3 years+ industry experience
- Basic problem-solving skills and ability to multitask
- Sense of urgency and ability to work within a safe manner
- Ability to follow all company policies in areas of attendance, safety, sanitation and safe food handling
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline