Specialty Crop Program Coordinator Vermont Agency of Agriculture
- Date Posted September 23, 2022
- Location Williston, VT
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
The Agricultural Development Division cultivates Vermont’s agriculture and food system through grantmaking, marketing, strategic collaboration, and connecting businesses and communities to vital resources. Job description
Join the Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets' Agricultural Development Division to support Vermont's specialty crop industries through grantmaking, education, and technical assistance. The Specialty Crop Program Coordinator (Agriculture Development Specialist II) in this role works closely with Vermont's fruit and vegetable growers, maple producers, and other industry stakeholders.
Key responsibilities including the following:
- Manage the Specialty Crop Block Grant Program and Produce Safety Improvement Grant program
- Coordinate the Community Accreditation for Produce Safety (CAPS) audit program and conduct voluntary on-farm food safety audits
- Provide education and technical assistance to the maple industry in collaboration with Agency and statewide partners
Experience or familiarity with one or more of the following areas will be helpful in this role. Curiosity and a willingness to learn are key to success on our team.
- Food safety
- Fruit and vegetable production
- Grants management
- Group facilitation
- Maple production
- Providing outreach, education, or technical assistance to farmers or producers
We welcome applicants with diverse education and work backgrounds who bring enthusiasm and excellence to their work. This role is ideal for an individual who is comfortable with a high level of autonomy within a collaborative team.
This position is based in Williston, VT. Telework options are available to employees in the Agricultural Development Division.
This classified limited service position is funded by multi-year federal grants, and we expect the position to continue beyond the current end date of 6/30/2026.
This position, Specialty Crop Program Coordinator - Limited Service (Job Requisition #40326), is open to all State employees and external applicants. It is a Limited Service position, which is non-tenured and authorized for a specific period of time. Limited Service positions are established for specially funded projects or programs.
Bachelor's degree AND three (3) years or more of experience at or above a technical level in agriculture, marketing, environmental conversation, communications, land use planning or another relevant field.
At least two (2) years of experience as an Agriculture Development Specialist I in Vermont State service.
- 80% State paid medical premium
- Dental Plan at no cost for employees and their families
- Flexible Spending healthcare and childcare reimbursement accounts
- Two ways to save for your retirement: A State defined benefit pension plan and a deferred compensation 457(b) plan
- Work/Life balance: 11 paid holidays each year and a generous leave plan; many jobs also allow for a flexible schedule
- Low cost group life insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Incentive-based Wellness Program
- Qualified Employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program