Executive Chef Western PA Conservancy-Fallingwater
- Date Posted November 22, 2022
- Location Mill Run, PA
- Category Culinary / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Fallingwater’s Executive Chef plays a key role for the site by overseeing the café operation at the Fallingwater Visitor Center, fine dining for specialty tours, and menu and food preparation for fundraising events. Located in the Laurel Highlands of southwestern Pennsylvania, Fallingwater takes great pride in the rich heritage of Appalachia and encourages the Executive Chef to take inspiration from the region’s culinary history to create elevated and seasonal offerings that are contemporary yet authentic. Our organization strives to operate as sustainably as possible, and Fallingwater has achieved Green Restaurant Association and Sustainable Pittsburgh Restaurant certifications by minimizing waste, reducing water and energy consumption, and using the best organic ingredients from local farms and regional purveyors. Additionally, the organization’s Farmland Access Program provides unique collaborative opportunities for regional sourcing and food sustainability.
· Develops unique and cuisine-appropriate menus for the Fallingwater Café and special events and takes inspiration from the culinary heritage of this region of Appalachia.
· Demonstrates an ability to provide high-quality offerings to a diverse range of audiences across programs. Delivers popular, affordable options for the general public at the Fallingwater Café as well as high-concept, elevated fine dining for fundraising events.
· Stays current on development trends in the restaurant industry, particularly as they relate to organic food standards and sustainability.
· Maintains Green Restaurant Association and Sustainable Pittsburgh Restaurant certifications and works to continually enhance sustainability of all operations.
· Monitors inventory and purchases supplies and food from approved vendors, with a focus on local and regional sources.
· Explores partnerships with local farms and purveyors as well as the Conservancy’s Farmland Access Program to meet food sustainability goals.
· Oversees inventory control and prepares year-end inventory analysis.
· Maintains kitchen building, café cook area and surroundings in conditions that meet the highest standards and health code regulations.
· Hires, trains, and supervises kitchen and café staff, ensuring the highest standards of professionalism, hospitality, customer service, and quality.
· Directs and trains kitchen and café staff in meal preparation, plating and service, providing prep support as needed.
· Prepares meals for special events and fundraising dinners.
· Oversees the wine and beverage program, working with Security to maintain inventories for all alcoholic beverages.
· Carries out management responsibilities in accordance with the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy’s policies, programs and procedures. These responsibilities include the development and administration of budgetary information; recommending and/or approving staff changes or actions; ensuring appropriate training and staff development; providing advice and guidance on the more complex aspects of the job; and resolving complaints or related divisional issues.
· Ensures that cash control measures in all food service operations are followed.
· Supports the Conservancy’s cost containment and fundraising efforts and needs, as applicable.
· Performs additional duties and responsibilities as needed.
· Advanced education in food preparation, culinary arts or equivalent experience is required.
· Prior experience working for high volume in an arts/culture, resort, hotel, catering or comparable setting is required.
· Prior supervisory experience is required. Must have the ability to plan work schedules and assign duties; ability to provide or arrange for training; ability to supervisor employees.
· High level of skill and abilities in planning and preparing a variety of menus/recipes.
· Knowledge of supplies, equipment and services necessary to run an efficient kitchen.
· Good interpersonal skills and ability to work well with managers and staff is essential.
· Knowledge of catering for special events preferred.
· Knowledge of organic food standards and sustainable restaurant operations preferred.
· Ability to deal with suppliers and vendors.
· Knowledge of local suppliers helpful.
Pay: We offer a competitive salary with a comprehensive benefits package! Pay begins at $57,000 yearly for entry-level candidates. Actual salary offers for more experienced candidates may be higher and will commensurate with experience!! In addition to your starting salary, the Total Compensation package includes:
- Medical Plan – Medical plan with generous employer premium contributions, low deductible and low copays.
- Vision Plan- Employer paid vision plan includes annual exam, lenses and frames.
- Dental Plan - Employer paid dental plan includes diagnostic, preventative, basic care, and major services.
- Flexible Spending Account / Dependent Care / Commuter FSA - Employer sponsored benefits.
- Life insurance and AD&D -Employer paid benefit based upon the Employee's annual earnings.
- Short Term Disability - Employer Paid
- Long Term Disability - Employer Paid
- Voluntary Life and AD&D - Employee optional including options for spouse and child(ren).
- SECTION 125 PLAN – Ability to purchase additional benefits.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) - FREE professional services at no cost.
- PAID Sick Days
- PAID Personal Days
- PAID Vacation
- PAID Holidays
- PAID Bereavement
- Pension Benefits - Based upon eligibility, Employer contributions plus an additional match based on Employee voluntary contributions
- FREE Admission to Fallingwater
- Smoking Cessation - Employee reimbursement available for program costs.
- Wellness Program - Health related discounts and other benefits.
- AND MORE!
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age. The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is fully committed to diversity and inclusion. We seek contributors from all backgrounds to join our team.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineFebruary 01, 2023