Executive Director Good Meat Project
- Date Posted November 22, 2022
- Location Portland, OR
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Founded in 2014, the GMP is a small and growing national 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
Our Mission: We catalyze marketplace innovation, connection, and education across the meat supply chain in order to increase the economic viability and ecological impact of livestock farmers who invest in healthy land, animals, and people.
Our Vision: We envision a future where meat is produced ethically and responsibly, by an industry that invests in healthy animals and landscapes, values people all across the food supply chain, and nourishes diverse, well-informed consumers.
What We Mean By Good Meat: We define Good Meat as coming from a constellation of production practices that are centered around care for land, animals, and people; transparency from start to finish; and nourishment and community.
Our Approach: We achieve our mission and vision through education, tool building, knowledge sharing, peer-to-peer learning, and marketplace experimentation and collaboration.
Our seminal programs and initiatives include:
- Meat Collectives: A network of over a dozen educational workshop hubs around the country inspired and enabled by the Good Meat Project.
- Good Meat Camp for Women: An educational camp for women-identifying and nonbinary individuals to learn the principles and practices behind Good Meat while building community and sharing knowledge.
- Good Meat Breakdown: An online resource built to help consumers find, buy, and cook Good Meat from their region.
- Farmers & Ranchers Marketing Innovation Network: Made up of many different initiatives and projects that support Good Meat farms, ranches, and brands, this program offers technical assistance, resource libraries, collaborative marketing experimentation, marketing toolkits, peer-to-peer learning, and networking opportunities. Some examples include:
- The Lowdown: A peer-to-peer, virtual learning series where direct-to-consumer producers share knowledge and practical skills with one another.
- The Real Burger of Earth Day: The first ever grassroots, collaborative trade promotion campaign for grassfed beef.
Highlighting and uplifting diverse voices is a critical element of our work. In all of our programs, we promote inclusivity in the male-dominated worlds of meat production, processing, and butchery. While we engage with actors across the entire supply chain, our work focuses on the marketplace interactions between consumers, producers, and food professionals (butchers/chefs) and on peer-to-peer interactions between and among producers and/or food professionals.Job description
The Good Meat Project (GMP) seeks a creative and experienced leader who is ready to take on the next chapter of the organization’s growth and impact. The ideal candidate for this position will believe in the economic viability and positive ecological impact of meat production practices that center care for land, animals, and people. This individual will also be able to demonstrate knowledge of food systems, will have a background in marketing or communications, and will have a strong track record of organizational management and success in recruiting resources for a small non-profit or similar enterprise.
As the organization looks to build upon its past success in hands-on meat and butchery education, marketplace experimentation, and peer-to-peer learning, its new leader will need to engage with ambition and innovative thinking. With nearly a decade of organizational history under its belt, the GMP is looking for an inspired and inspiring individual to set the foundation for the next decade of work.
- Create a durable foundation for the future of the GMP
- Develop and oversee current programs
- Develop and oversee the GMP’s existing internal talent and recruit new staff as funding is available
- Determine appropriate resource allocation across programs
- Create and manage the organization’s budget
- Build upon the strength of the the GMP’s existing organizational culture
- Manage day-to-day operations
- Continuously improve upon existing internal organizational systems
- Advocate for our mission and raise the national profile of our organization
- Build on existing programming to increase our impact in the field
- Lead fundraising initiatives including grant applications and individual donor recruitment with support from the board
- Create a strategy for ensuring that diversity, equity and inclusion are thoroughly incorporated into our programming and organizational approach
- Engage as a thought leader in the industry by working closely with like-minded non-profit, for-profit, and governmental organizations
- Grow earned revenue as a portion of the GMP’s funding
Governance and Compliance
- Work with the organization’s co-chairs to ensure effective board management and engagement
- Assist with board recruitment and development
- Ensure the GMP is managed in accordance with legal and ethical standards
- Experience developing and executing strategic plans
- Success in recruiting resources for a small non-profit or similar enterprise
- Experience managing and scaling operational systems
Subject Matter Expertise
- Deep knowledge of at least one subject matter within the meat supply chain (animal agriculture, processing/butchery, branding/marketing, culinary, etc.)
- Experience in marketing and/or communications to engage public audiences
- Authentic desire to build and engage in deep relationships across different experiences and perspectives
- Ability to work within and create a collaborative work environment for staff and board
- 7+ years of professional experience, preferably in the nonprofit sector
- Experience in food systems required
- Deep commitment to the GMP’s mission, vision, and values
- Hands-on fundraising know-how, including knowledge of grant-writing and/or donor relations
- Marketing and/or communications experience preferred
- Comfort working with diverse groups of stakeholders
- Experience managing budgets and allocating resources
- Competency managing a fully remote team across multiple states
- Evidence of effective oral and written communication skills
- Digital fluency or a willingness to learn and adapt to various platforms (Google Drive, Notion, Airtable, Word, Excel, Canva, Slack, etc.)
- Experience with graphic or visual design a plus
- An undergraduate degree or comparable professional experience
- Willingness to travel several times a year
We strongly encourage applications from diverse individuals, including but not limited to diversity in such characteristics as race/ethnicity, color, national origin, age, socioeconomic background, religion, creed, veteran’s status, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation and disability. The Good Meat Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For a full job description, go here.Compensation this position is : salaried, 75k-100k Location job can be done remotely Application instructions