Garden Operations Manager (FT or PT) Global Growers Network +2 more
- Date Posted December 05, 2022
- Location Decatur, GA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Global Growers Network is a 501c3 nonprofit organization based in Decatur, GA that partners with people from diverse cultures to grow fresh food for their families and for local marketplaces. Together, we build and sustain networks of growers, land, resources, and markets in order to create a more equitable food system that is driven by cultural diversity, inclusive economies, and regenerative agriculture practices. We partner with more than 300 talented growers from diverse backgrounds and operate 9 farm and garden sites in the suburbs east of Atlanta. We also recently acquired a 23-acre farm in Rockdale County. Global Growers Network maintains a friendly, flexible, and casual work environment.Job description
Position Summary: The Garden Operations Manager will report to the Director of Programs and manage all infrastructure at GGN’s garden and farm sites in DeKalb County. At least one site is a start up farm, requiring the build out of a disassembled shed, the construction of a wash station, and coordination with the county for the water meter application, install, and irrigation set up. This role will supervise and mentor our Garden Operations Coordinator. This position may be full-time or part-time based on the candidate’s availability.
Candidate Vision: The ideal candidate for this position is comfortable working outdoors, organized with excellent attention to detail, and has a high degree of motivation. Experience in multicultural and multilingual spaces will serve you well in this position since you will interact regularly with our diverse grower network. Further, the candidate is expected to commit to a regular work schedule, be on time, and be comfortable organizing their work to meet deadlines. Finally, the candidate, like all staff at Global Growers, must be an ambassador, believe in, and feel connected to the mission of the organization.
- Supervise and mentor the Garden Operations Coordinator
- Maintain, repair, and install garden infrastructure, including irrigation, out buildings, electricity, wash stations, fencing, and others at GGN’s garden and farm sites in DeKalb County
- Lead general garden maintenance and tool maintenance
- Coordinate with contractors to secure and evaluate project quotes, develop contracts and project timelines, and serve as the contractor liaison
- Complete garden installs and ensure site maintenance on a dependable schedule, in accordance with the specifics of each location site
- Review and upgrade irrigation systems, as needed (several sites are expected to need this by early 2023) at various sites is expected in the coming quarter
- Develop annual budget for garden maintenance
- Support other GGN staff with funding applications and reports by providing information about the gardens, as requested
Qualifications and Experience Requirements: Work, volunteer, academic, and other life experiences are all relevant
- At least one year of experience managing people
- Intermediate spoken English language, plus basic reading, writing, and numeracy abilities to support farm and garden record-keeping
- Lift up to 50lbs repeatedly and be on feet for a full workday in variable weather conditions
- Operate full size farm truck and tow landscape trailer
- At least three years of experience with gardening, farming, and/or landscaping.
- Proficiency with landscape tools and gas powered 2-cycle engine equipment (lawn mower, string trimmer, blower, chainsaw)
- Valid Driver’s License and clean driving record (able to be insured on farm vehicles)
- Reliable transportation to travel to multiple locations of farm and garden sites
Compensation: For a full time position, the salary range for this position is $48,000-$55,000 annually, commensurate with experience. Benefits include: Healthcare Reimbursement Account (currently $370/month), cell phone stipend (currently $25/month), 401k retirement account (with up to 3% match), paid time off (starts at 2 weeks then accrues) and paid holidays (6 public holidays; 2 floating holidays; 2 weeks bonus time at year-end), and professional development opportunities.
If the ideal candidate prefers a part-time schedule, compensation and benefits will depend on schedule.
To be determined based on full or part-time availability.
Location: This position will primarily work in our network of garden and farm sites in DeKalb County, Georgia. Approximately once per week, you will be required to attend in-person meetings at our administrative office in Decatur, GA (also home to our Decatur’s Kitchen Garden and Orchard). At this time, other administrative work can be conducted remotely or from our office.Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions