Flower Harvest Lead Broadturn Farm
- Date Posted January 12, 2023
- Location Scarborough, ME
- Category Agriculture / Design
- Job type Full-Time
Harvest Lead - Full Time, May-Oct
The Harvest Lead will assist Alaena with managing the movement of flowers from the field into the cooler and beyond. As a leader, one of your primary goals will be to ensure that the harvest is running as smoothly and efficiently as possible - keeping an eye on the pace, making quality decisions, and managing the crew when needed. That being said, harvest mornings can last anywhere from 2-5 hours, so you will definitely be doing a lot of flower cutting yourself! While flower farming experience is strongly preferred, good intuition, a willingness to learn, and excellent interpersonal skills can be just as important. We grow hundreds of varieties of blooms and foliage and have some well oiled systems in place so you can expect a bit of a learning curve helped by plenty of support from our leadership team. The position is harvest focused but will also involve bouquet making, fieldwork, bucket washing and other farm tasks. There may also be floral design opportunities for those with experience or interest in that work.
Start times vary depending on daylight and temperatures but the schedule will generally be 6am-3pm, Monday-Friday, with a one hour unpaid lunch. Some limited weekend hours may be necessary 2-3 weeks of the season and will be compensated with additional time off during the week when needed (the peonies don’t stop blooming on weekends!). Other benefits include earned PTO, sick leave, and paid holidays. Potential for growth and year-round employment.
QUALITIES OF IDEAL CANDIDATES
- Can adapt easily and willingly to fluctuations throughout the day including: schedule, temperature/weather/precipitation, and job duties
- Is capable of openly receiving feedback about how to increase the pace of efficient work
- Loves to be outdoors, participating in physical activity, in a beautiful space with fun-loving coworkers
- Exhibits hardcore motivation, always, even about the end of day cocktail and the early morning harvest
- Shows up fully, every day, with a positive attitude, a good sense of humor and finds joy in engagement
- Views customer interactions of all kinds as an opportunity for mutual learning and growth, and approaches them with an earnest sense of purpose and a heartfelt sincerity no matter if it’s at the farm or on the road delivering
- Sees value in all the work of everyday farming and rises to every occasion
- Able to work collaboratively and compassionately with people from diverse backgrounds in terms of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, class, political beliefs and religion.
- Possesses a commitment to understanding and embracing the broader philosophy of sustainable, family-scale farming as an occupation and a lifestyle
- Has the ability to take initiative as their knowledge base develops and possesses a high level of self motivation
- Must LOVE the smell of leaf mulch
The farm is located about 25 minutes from Portland, 10 minutes from Pine Point Beach, and 15 minutes from 295 or 95.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineFebruary 18, 2023