Executive Director Berkshire Agricultural Ventures
- Date Posted January 20, 2023
- Location Great Barrington, MA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
This role is an opportunity to lead a highly-energized organization through a phase of growth that will lead to long-term sustainability and success in our mission.
Manages a high-performing, diversely talented team:
- Oversees day-to-day priorities and provides tactical guidance on internal and external projects as needed
- Maintain and improve culture and values with the team and external Stakeholders.
- Mentors and manages team members collectively and individually through 1:1 engagement and feedback to make progress toward professional goals;
- Identifies opportunities to hone skills and knowledge; ensures ongoing alignment between individual work, professional goals, and BAV’s mission.
- Supports staff to continue to develop and implement programs that will address specific, systematic issues affecting the local food system.
Leads development strategy and donor engagement:
- Works with BAV’s development team to establish a cohesive long-term funding strategy, development committee, and major donor engagement program.
- Implements development strategy focusing on major donor engagement and large grants. (As lead or in collaboration with staff/consultants)
- Expands relationships with regional and national foundations active in agriculture and food systems.
- Manages and develops relationships with members of the Board of Directors.
- Identifies performance indicators that define core objectives.
- Identifies and develops strategic relationships/partnerships with stakeholders (local, regional, political, etc.)
- Works with staff and board to ensure strong organizational governance (eg. Observing legal, administrative, and fiscal compliance)
- Represents needs of Berkshire regional agriculture producers, processors, and distributors among regional and local policy dialogues.
● Develop the long-term strategic direction of BAV.
● Support staff engagement with farms and agricultural businesses to ensure BAV’s services are impactful.
● Supports cross-coordination with partner service providers as needed.
● Prioritize and support Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging efforts inside and outside of the organization in accordance with BAV stated commitments.
● 5+ years of leadership experience, preferably with a nonprofit organization or equivalent.
● Experience in fundraising, donor cultivation, and/or building donor relationships.
● Highly adaptable; demonstrated experience in leading a team or organization through change.
● Knowledgeable about farming and food systems in Berkshire Taconic region (or similar community).
● Familiar with business and financial management concepts relevant to a farm or agriculture business (accounting practices, equipment loans/leases; mortgages).
● Demonstrated knowledge of Diversity, Equity Inclusion, and Belonging practices in organizational culture and program management.
● Familiarity with federal, state and/or private grants, including application, implementation, and reporting processes.
● Previous agricultural knowledge/experience.
● Primarily located in the Berkshire Taconic region.
● Agile relationship builder and community builder.
● Passion for local agriculture.
● Knowledgeable about farming and ag practices, US farm policy,
challenges/opportunities facing the agricultural sector, as well as local/regional agricultural systems.
● Familiar with impact investing / “slow money” principles and values.
● Experience in integrating DEIB practices into organizational culture and program management.
● Awareness of historical institutional inequities in US agricultural/food systems
● 3+ years experience with federal, state and/or private grants, including application, implementation, and reporting processes
● Stronger candidates should ideally have some relevant experience or ideas in establishing strategic “differentiators” to optimize programming effectiveness and effectively compete for development funding.
Preferred Skills: Experience working with or managing a team remotely using collaborative workplace technology tools, e.g. Google suite (Docs, Sheets, Drive, Chat, Meet); workflow management tools such as Asana.
Location/travel: Day-to-day responsibilities require in-person engagement with a variety of stakeholders around BAV’s service area (Berkshire, Columbia, Dutchess, and Litchfield counties). Staff generally work from home when not meeting with clients, other stakeholders, or other service providers.
Equity is a core value at Berkshire Agricultural Ventures. We know that food justice is racial justice, and local food is still not accessible to all. Our hope is to increase food access and land stewardship for more communities in our service area through our work. We acknowledge that much of what we have to do is learn. As a staff, we commit to learning more about food justice, and we invite you to do the same. (Read full DEIB statement)
“We value collaboration, adaptability, humility, and passion for pursuing difficult but worthy long-term goals."
Who we serve: Our stakeholders are established farms and agriculture businesses, new farmers and entrepreneurs, partner economic development organizations, and complementary service providers. We aspire to develop innovative financing and operating solutions to enable environmental, economic, and social sustainability. Compensation this position is : salaried, 75k-100k Location job can be done remotely Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineFebruary 20, 2023