- Date Posted January 20, 2023
- Location New York, NY
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
GrowNYC is a 51-year-old environmental nonprofit organization - helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life.
- Our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites and Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
- We blanket the five boroughs with resources like textile and food scrap collection, Stop 'N' Swaps, as well as free training to make waste reduction easy for all.
- We build and support community and school gardens through volunteer days, technical assistance, training, grants and more.
- We provide 70,000 children each year with programs that provide meaningful interactions with the natural environment.
Note to applicants on COVID safety: GrowNYC is committed to stopping the spread of Covid-19. All new hires must be able to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination during the onboarding process. Employees are also required to follow COVID safety protocols as the situation evolves, which may include daily healJob description
GREENMARKET OPERATIONS MANAGER: (Full-time)
The Greenmarket Operations Manager oversees day-to-day operations for GrowNYC’s more than 46 farmers markets throughout the five boroughs of New York City, and ensures that Greenmarket sites operate safely, efficiently, and effectively for customers, staff, and producers alike.
We are searching for a highly organized, decisive, flexible, early-riser who can multi-task and has operations, conflict resolution, and management experience. Reporting to the Director of Food Access & Agriculture and the Assistant Director of Food Access and Agriculture, this position will spend time at GrowNYC’s Greenmarket sites and at the GrowNYC office.
Greenmarket Operations Manager Responsibilities (Include but are not limited to):
Operations and Administration
- Oversee logistics and market operations for GrowNYC’s Greenmarket farmers markets.
- Develop and guide internal processes for Greenmarket Producer Application intake, processing, and approval.
- Manage market assignments and reservations for 200+ Greenmarket Producers across 50+ Greenmarket sites, using our purpose-built FileMaker database.
- Work with the Inspections Department, the FAA Director, and Farmer Community Advisory Committee (FCAC) to create, improve, and interpret market rules and regulations, as well as consistent enforcement protocols.
- Maintain relationships and communicate regularly with Greenmarket site partners, city agencies, and local stakeholders.
- With assistance from the FAA Administrative Senior Advisor, develop and manage FAA’s FileMaker Database system.
- In collaboration with FAA Director and FAA leadership team, drive the strategic direction for Greenmarket operations including identifying and approving new Greenmarket locations that are responsive to community and farmer/producer demand and address food access needs.
- Manage 5+ Greenmarket vehicles, with assistance from GrowNYC Fleet Manager.
- Perform administrative duties and attend staff meetings in the office and virtually.
Staff Management and Supervision
- Work with Assistant Director to oversee the management of the market and operations team, including hiring, training, workflow, individual work plans, annual performance appraisals, professional development, and conducting individual and team staff meetings.
- Oversee the supervision of 30-50 Greenmarket site staff.
- Assist the FAA Administrative Manager with Greenmarket staffing plan and scheduling processes and overall Greenmarket staffing strategy.
- Prepare and facilitate weekly operations meetings to coordinate communications and logistics amongst market staff.
- Ensure that market staff have proper licenses and certifications as required by GrowNYC policy and permits granted by city agencies.
Budget & Fiscal Management
- Work with the FAA Director to develop and manage the annual budget for Greenmarket field staff.
- Work with the FAA Director to provide fiscally sound management of the Greenmarket operations budget through responsible oversight and data-driven financial decision making.
- Six to eight years of work experience in project management and program development, preferably in an agriculture related field.
- Minimum of five years of experience managing staff (preferably supervisory experience similar in scope to current Greenmarket field-based staffing) with a people-centered leadership style.
- Excellent written and public speaking communication skills, with a desire and proven ability to communicate with people from diverse backgrounds and knowledge levels.
- Demonstrated experience with creating, managing, and monitoring budgets.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects in a fast-paced team environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and willingness to work with people from diverse backgrounds in terms of race, ethnicity, gender, including trans* and nonbinary, sexual orientation, class, and religion.
- Highly organized with excellent time management skills and a proactive results-driven orientation.
- Dispute mediation and conflict management skills.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Agile with the ability to focus on meeting emergent needs, and adaptable to continuous change.
- Strong commitment to a racially and socially just food system.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive.
- Willing to travel and work in all neighborhoods throughout the five boroughs of NYC.
- A valid driver’s license and willingness to drive a cargo van.
- Knowledge of sustainable local agriculture/farming, food systems, food access, and/or food justice (highly preferred).
This position requires the ability to stand for up to 8 hours outdoors in all types of weather conditions (sometimes extreme) and lifting heavy/bulky equipment and supplies, up to 50lbs.
Tuesday through Saturday, with some Sundays required. Work at least one weekend day every week and some holidays.
The position is an exempt full-time salaried position. It pays $90,000 – $95,000 and includes full-time benefits (medical, dental, vision, life insurance, pet insurance, Long Term disability, Incentive Savings plan, paid holidays, sick leave, PTO, commute, and FSA programs).
This position involves a combination of field and office work. Remote work is available with a minimum of 2-days office presence. Field work is required.
GrowNYC is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical disability.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline