Gardens & Youth Training Manager Capital Roots, Inc.
- Date Posted January 30, 2023
- Location Troy, NY
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
About Capital Roots: Capital Roots is striving to create a more vibrant and equitable food system in New York’s Capital Region. We work to reduce the impact of poor nutrition on public health in New York’s Capital Region by organizing community gardens, providing healthy food access, offering nutritional and horticultural education for all ages and coordinating urban greening programs in Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady and southern Saratoga Counties. Our mission is to cultivate and nourish communities by creating equitable access to fresh foods and green space in support of a robust regional food system. To learn more about Capital Roots, go to www.capitalroots.org.
OBJECTIVE: Direct the organization's Community Gardens program and Produce Project youth job readiness program
- Bachelor’s Degree and 3-5 years relevant experience to include staff and project management; with horticultural, human service or educational experience preferred.
- Excellent management and communication abilities. Works effectively, both independently and within team settings.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve, collaborate and communicate with diverse audiences. Must have a high energy level, ability to manage employees, possess a genuine interest in Capital Roots’ mission, and be able to lift 50 pounds. Must also have a valid driver's license with the ability to drive and a driving record acceptable for insurance coverage.
- Supervise, support and supplement these two, two-member teams to ensure their programs’ efficiency and success
- Manage the activities of two Garden Coordinators to maintain gardens and support gardeners as they communicate clear expectations, distribute resources, and cultivate relationships. Facilitate their ability to:
- Apply Capital Roots’ community gardens model consistently across our four-county service area
- Execute yearly maintenance plans for existing gardens and develop plans to secure and construct new sites.
- Guide interns, volunteers and garden leads through registrations, work parties and essential garden functions
- Manage the activities of two Produce Project Coordinators in their operation of our garden-based job readiness program for teens. Facilitate their ability to:
- Deliver a well-structured year round curriculum for up to 20 youth that integrates with, and complements school and growing seasons to teach essential job and life skills in a rigorous and supportive environment
- Recruit, hire, orient, and assess youth participants and interns. Maintain schedules and essential records
- Integrate program with community through field trips, school collaboration and volunteer participation
- Support team to maintain regular reporting and data collection efforts including those associated with programmatic outputs, financial information, grant deliverables and others requirements as needed
- Collaborate with other members of the Capital Roots Management Team to create cross-program collaboration and efficiency, create staff development opportunities and cultivate our unique organizational culture;
- Other duties as assigned by Program Officer and CEO.
USEFUL KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS:
- Positive Youth Development, conflict resolution and community organizing
- Horticulture, environmental education, train the trainer, basic tool and equipment knowledge
SALARY & BENEFITS: This is a full-time non-exempt position (40 hours per week) paid at an annual rate of $39,520 per year, in a flexible work environment. Excellent benefits including fully paid comprehensive medical insurance and partially covered dental insurance upon hire (benefit of ~$8,000). In addition to generous vacation time, we observe 11 paid holidays – including three floating holidays – and offer paid personal and sick time. You also have the option to enroll in our 403b retirement plan.
Capital Roots is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to creating a multicultural organization. We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for this position, especially candidates of color. We seek to foster diversity across our organization and welcome the unique contributions our team members make based on their diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and lived experiences.Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline