- Date Posted September 18, 2023
- Location Cambridge, MA
- Category Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
At Oleana, vivid flavors, aromatic spices and a commitment to the freshest ingredients compose a menu that celebrates the cuisine of Turkey and the Middle East. Small plates with big flavor, locally sourced meats and fish, artisanal wines, produce from our own farm and desserts that honor but upend tradition have garnered national attention and awards. Led by Chef Ana Sortun, Oleana has been beloved in the city for 22 years.
WHY JOIN OUR TEAM?
We care about each other and our customers. We build long-term relationships with our employees and support individuals who wish to further their career development within the food industry. We offer extensive educational and professional development opportunities, including wine and beverage training, Mediterranean diet education, community engagement, and guest speakers.
We will always believe in exceptional hospitality with warmth & professionalism, but not pretension. Our managers try to practice what they preach, not leading with aggression or negativity, but rather dedication, fairness, and desire to bring the best out in their team. We look for passionate, kind, committed and honest people who find joy in their profession and can transcend that message outward.
At the end of the day, we want our restaurant to be a representation of our values – the kind of place we would hang out on our day off. All of our businesses are funky, fun spots that appeal to people from all walks of life.
Oleana is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a diverse workforce and support an environment that is inclusive and respectful.Job description
The Sous Chef is responsible for assisting with managing and overseeing all kitchen operations.
Working under the general supervision of the Executive Chef and Chef de Cuisine, the Sous Chef will
- Manage kitchen operations and supervise staff. Solve problems and assist as needed.
- Assist in managing all savory food and service production focusing on quality, consistency, taste, accuracy, seasonality, ingredients, rotation, storage, appearance, timeliness, and efficiency.
- Open and close the kitchen as needed.
- Expedite and work the line as needed.
- Ensure adherence to Oleana’s standards in every aspect of food production and beyond while working to achieve operational excellence.
- Assist with hiring, onboarding, and training of all kitchen staff.
- Develop training materials and strategies ensuring all remain current, relevant, and effective.
- Monitor, assess, and manage kitchen staff performance; including disciplinary actions as needed.
- With direction from CDC, create menu specials.
- Assist with kitchen communication and maintain strong communication between departments.
- Manage all product ordering for the kitchen. Liaise with other departmental ordering needs.
- Assist with managing savory food waste.
- Establish, maintain, and develop vendor relationships.
- Ensure proper stocking, rotation, organization, and cleaning of kitchen and all storage areas.
- Prioritize safety, cleanliness, and sanitation in all facets of production and operation.
- Assist with maintenance and upkeep of kitchen equipment.
- Assist with managing inventory and completing monthly inventory report.
- Work with management team members to ensure success of special events and projects. Works events as directed.
- Collaborate with team members to meet the company's financial objectives.
- Meet with Oleana Managers as needed for consultation, coordination, and brainstorming.
- Provide leadership, model appropriate behavior in the workplace, enforce company policies and procedures, and uphold quality standards.
- Maintain company culture to champion vision, values, and uphold staff morale.
As a member of Oleana’s management team, the successful Sous Chef will work to support established goals and values and uphold existing culture and the highest quality standards of customer service and hospitality.
Qualified candidates will –
- Have at least five years of experience cooking in a restaurant kitchen
- Have at least one year of management experience
- Be able to work full-time, averaging 50 hours/week
- Have strong knowledge of kitchen cleanliness, safety and organization
- Treat customers and co-workers with courtesy and respect
- Follow clearly documented food safety procedures
- Work as a team with multiple managers
- Be able to read and follow written recipes, deal successfully with multitasking and be comfortable in a fast-paced work environment
- Exhibit a desire to learn and be challenged creatively
- Have a strong attention to detail and a positive attitude
- Have excellent attendance and punctuality
- Have a desire for long-term employment
- Be available nights, weekends, and some holidays
- Competitive salary, based on experience ($70k-$75k)
- Free meal per shift
- Paid vacation time
- Educational and professional development opportunities
- Employee discounts at our sister businesses—Oleana, Sofra, Sarma and Siena Farms
- Partially subsidized health insurance, and group rates on dental, vision, and voluntary (critical illness, accident, disability, life) benefits
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline