Assistant Cafe Manager Sofra Bakery + Cafe +2 more
- Date Posted November 15, 2023
- Location Cambridge, MA
- Category Business
- Job type Full-Time
In Turkish, Sofra is synonymous with generosity and hospitality. James Beard nominated Executive Pastry Chef Maura Kilpatrick and co-founder Ana Sortun (of Oleana, Sarma & Siena Farms) approach cuisine with a Middle Eastern sensibility by creating delicious food featuring unique spices and spice blends. Sofra Bakery & Cafe reinterprets regional food traditions of the Eastern Mediterranean to make them accessible and inspiring for our guests.
WHY JOIN OUR TEAM?
We care about each other and our customers. We build long-term relationships with our employees and support individuals who wish to further their career development within the food industry. We offer extensive educational and professional development opportunities, including wine and beverage training, Mediterranean diet education, community engagement, and guest speakers.
We will always believe in exceptional hospitality with warmth & professionalism, but not pretension. Our managers try to practice what they preach, not leading with aggression or negativity, but rather dedication, fairness, and desire to bring the best out in their team. We look for passionate, kind, committed and honest people who find joy in their profession and can transcend that message outward.
At the end of the day, we want our restaurant to be a representation of our values – the kind of place we would hang out on our day off. All of our businesses are funky, fun spots that appeal to people from all walks of life.
Sofra is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a diverse workforce and support an environment that is inclusive and respectful.
The Assistant Cafe Manager supports the General Manager and Cafe Manager in leading the front of house department. These duties include but are not limited to staff training, leading Sofra’s beverage program, maintaining standards, and overseeing daily operations. The Assistant Cafe Manager will contribute to Sofra’s shared hospitality goals of improving co-operation and communication amongst departments to deliver the guest the best experience.
- Assist in leading training and onboarding of all FOH staff including register, expo, runner, baristas, and any new FOH role that may develop.
- Work with GM and Cafe Manager on training schedule for new employees. Directly train whenever possible otherwise, work with shift leads and other managers to train.
- Train staff on all food, beverage, service, operations, guest management, hospitality, culture, and any other applicable topic.
- Assist in keeping all training documents up to date.
- Delegate to co-managers and shift leaders to assist with training as needed.
- Assist in brainstorming and developing new training strategies.
- Train new baristas.
- Ensure quality and consistency of all beverage prep and ingredients including but not limited to proper rotation, appearance, and taste.
- Source and select beverages to be sold at Sofra aligned with company cuisine and culture.
- Manage ordering, inventory, and vendor relationships for all beverages.
- Create reference materials for beverage program including recipes.
- Assist with pricing of beverage menu items.
- Manage beverage equipment maintenance and repair.
- Maintain seasonality and creativity in beverage menu options.
- Lead communication and implementation for all beverage menu offerings.
FOH Manager (60%) as part of the FOH management team will assist with:
- Manage daily service operations and supervise staff. Solve problems and assist as needed.
- Assume the shared responsibilities of the entire FOH management team (opening/closing, retail support, catering, special events, cooking classes, holidays, etc.)
- Ensure service standards are being met while working to achieve operational excellence.
- Assist managers in training staff on food, beverage, service, hospitality, and other applicable topics.
- Assist managers in keeping training materials current, relevant, and effective.
- Work with other managers to develop effective training strategies.
- Monitor, assess, and develop FOH staff performance.
- Create and develop guest relations protocols; Build relationships with regular and interested guests.
- Create and maintain a culture that ensures that guest needs are met at every point of their Sofra experience.
- Ensure facility is clean, comfortable, and aesthetically pleasing at all times.
- Respond to guest inquiries and complaints.
- Maintain FOH staff to-do lists.
- Work with the General Manager to keep the menu up-to-date.
- Assist with managing online ordering and ecommerce.
- Work with management team members to organize the holiday seasons in a timely, efficient, effective manner.
- Meet with Sofra management teams regularly for consultation, coordination, and brainstorming.
- Provide leadership, act as a role model of appropriate behavior in the workplace, enforce company policy and procedures, and uphold quality standards.
- Maintain company culture to champion vision, values, and uphold staff morale.
Qualified candidates will –
- Have at least 1 year of supervisory and/or training experience
- Have at least 1 year of barista experience
- Be able to work full-time (roughly 45 hours/week)
- Be available weekends and holidays
- Treat customers and co-workers with courtesy and respect
- Be genuinely passionate about hospitality and the overall guest experience
- Work in a clean and organized fashion
- Work as a team and take direction from multiple managers
- Be able to deal successfully with multitasking and be comfortable in a fast-paced work environment
- Exhibit a desire to learn
- Have a strong attention to detail and a positive attitude
- Have excellent attendance and punctuality
- Have a desire for long-term employment
- Competitive pay, based on experience ($52k-$57k)
- Free meal per shift
- Paid vacation time
- Educational and professional development opportunities
- Employee discounts at our sister businesses—Oleana, Sofra, Sarma and Siena Farms
- Partially subsidized health insurance, and group rates on dental, vision, and voluntary (critical illness, accident, disability, life) benefits
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline