Farm Intern The Grey Barn and Farm
- Date Posted November 05, 2012
- Location Chilmark, MA
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Internship/Apprentice
The Grey Barn and Farm is a small-scale certified organic New England farm with a backbone in dairy. We milk 25 Dutch Belted cows and use that milk to make cheese. We also raise heritage breed pigs and have 300 laying hens. We are located on the island of Martha's Vineyard in the state of Massachusetts.
The Grey Barn is offering an opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to fill a full time apprentice role on our farm. This person would assist the Farm Manager and Herdsman in all tasks including daily milking, livestock and poultry management and general farm maintenance. Our ideal candidate is a quick learner, pays careful attention to details and always finishes what they start. Applicants must be willing to work long hours and put up with occasionally uncooperative animals.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Work well with all types of people
- Comfortable around large animals
- Lift and carry a minimum 75lbs unassisted many times during a day Stand on feet for long periods of time, work outside in very hot and very cold conditions
- Work efficiently both supervised and unsupervised for extended periods of time
- Valid driver's license
- Milk cows
- Fundamentals of rotational grazing of cattle
- Basic livestock care and feeding
- Clean a milking parlor until it shines
- Keep organic records
- Ability to operate a tractor and/or skid steer and implements
- Basic machinery maintenance (have you ever changed the oil in a car?)
- Basic carpentry skills
Stipend and hours:
- 50 hours per week. The days and hours worked on a particular day may change weekly.
- $400.00 per week less taxes
- Your own room in house with shared kitchen and shared bathroom. Utilities included.
- ½ gallon of raw milk, 1 dozen eggs and 15$ of other product per week. Must be used weekly.
In addition to regular hours, intern will work an additional 4 hours per week to design and implement a new farm activity. All aspects of research, planning, budgeting, design and implementation will be the responsibility of the intern with the oversight of the Farm manager.