Pork Production Manager PIG
- Date Posted December 02, 2015
- Location Greensboro Bend, VT
- Category Agriculture / Production
- Job Type Full-Time
PIG LLC is a joint venture between Jasper Hill Creamery and Pete’s Greens. This is a new project, producing high value pork from the waste streams of our two businesses. Our pigs are fed whey from cheesemaking, organic waste vegetables, and are pasture grazed in season.
Jasper Hill Creamery is a leader in the artisan cheese industry, making award-winning, internationally-acclaimed cheeses. Pete’s Greens is a year-round organic produce farm located in Craftsbury, with two farmstand locations and a thriving local CSA program. Together we aim to raise the best-tasting pork in an environmentally sustainable way. This is an exciting time to join our team, as we build systems from the ground up and lay a foundation for future growth.
The Animal Production Manager will oversee hog raising operations at our Craftsbury farm. This is a new position, and PIG is a new venture between two established businesses. The Manager will help design and implement systems, enclosures, buildings, and herd management techniques. The work requires close collaboration with the rest of our team as together we learn what works best and what needs improvement.
- Herd management of our 30 sows: timely breeding, farrowing, traceability, maintaining a herd health regimen
- Infrastructure design and construction of: fencing, whey feeding systems, water systems, and internal barn enclosures and structures
- Animal rotation through pastures, in season
- Adapting and improving efficiency as we learn and grow
- Experience working with livestock; working with swine a plus
- Genuine interest in raising pigs on alternative feeds in a pasture-based system
- Excellent communication and record keeping skills
- Computer literate
- Creative and adaptable; able to problem solve and improve systems
- Must be able to bend, kneel, and regularly lift 50 pounds.
- Compensation commensurate with experience