Conscious Kitchen Steward/Dishwasher Turning Green
- Date Posted July 27, 2016
- Location Sausalito, CA
- Category Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
The Conscious Kitchen provides scratch-cooked FLOSN breakfast, lunch and snack daily to students at Bayside MKL Academy and Willow Creek Academy. We work with students to hone their leadership skills by facilitating participation in menu development, food preparation, service and zero-waste clean up. The program has also consists of a Conscious Kitchen Garden and Nutrition Curriculum that allows students to follow their food from soil to plate. Classes take place in the school’s 10,000-square foot garden, an outdoor classroom where students plant, cultivate and harvest, while gaining an appreciation for the importance of sustainable agriculture and nourishing food. By breaking down barriers between food cultivation and consumption, students in Marin City and Sausalito are developing a personal connection to the land and learning the tools they need to integrate a healthier diet into their lives. Job description
Enjoy the culinary industry and cooking for living? Don’t want to work the long hours, weekends or holidays? Enjoy cooking with the most fresh, local and organic ingredients. Your chance has arrived. Willow Creek Academy, in Sausalito, is hiring a cook for their school meal program.
The steward position will be responsible for helping assist in the day-to-day production of breakfast and lunch for the students at Willow Creek Academy.
- Willingness to participate in all aspects of the program including prep, cooking, cleaning up, dishes, serving, errands, office work, and other tasks as assigned
- Work well under pressure in a fast paced environment
- Strong communication skills
- Be able to work with a team and be flexible
- Familiarity with basic mathematics and weights & measures
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Be committed to and an integral part of the success of this program
- Excited about sustainable agriculture, local farmers, organic food and the environmental movement
- Strong work ethic
- Follow thru with assigned tasks
- Knife Skills
- Proper Food Handling Skills
- Assisting with meal preparation for lunch, and snack (40%)
- Assisting with dishes and cleaning (60%)
- Arrive on time and ready to work
- Care is taken with all equipment within our program and school
- Each team member must use proper sanitation procedures related to kitchens, particularly food preparation, serving and storage
- Principles of cooperation with other workers in spontaneous situations
- Personal and professional growth through learning and expanding skill set
- 7:00am - 2:30pm
- Monday through Friday
- $15 hour
- Willow Creek Academy, Sausalito CA
- Position reports to the Executive Chef for The Conscious Kitchen, a program of Turning Green and is also under the supervision of the Sausalito Marin City School District.