Cheesemaker Grafton Village Cheese
- Date Posted August 22, 2016
- Location Brattleboro, VT
- Category Production
- Job Type Full-Time
Grafton Village Cheese was founded in 1892 as the Grafton Cooperative Cheese Company, which converted surplus milk from local dairy farmers into cheese. Years later, a fire destroyed the original factory, but the nonprofit Windham Foundation restored the company in the mid 1960s. The Foundation’s mission is to promote Vermont's rural communities, and proceeds from the sale of cheese are directed toward the Foundation’s charitable efforts.
Grafton’s entire line of cheese is handmade using traditional methods. Grafton Village Cheddar is naturally aged from one through five years. Grafton also offers a Cave Aged line, featuring small-batch specialty cheeses using cow, sheep and mixed milk. Milk for Grafton Village Cheese comes from small family farms to meet Grafton’s exacting standards and specific flavor profile.
The original production plant is in Grafton and a newer facility is in nearby Brattleboro, Vermont, where an extensive retail store offers over 200 artisan cheeses, specialty foods, gifts and wine.Job Description
The Grafton Village Cheese Company is looking for cheesemakers to help produce premium, aged cheddar cheese using traditional methods and milk from local dairy farms. We are a business of the nonprofit Windham Foundation, based in Grafton, Vermont. The mission of the Windham Foundation is to promote the vitality of Grafton and Vermont’s rural communities through its philanthropic and educational programs and the GVCC is an important contributor to these endeavors.
You can be part of a dynamic team that is a part of a great organization looking to promote food and farms.
Duties and responsibilities include working in a clean food environment making cheese. All personnel are encouraged to work as team members to meet company social, product and safety goals.
Essential Job Functions
- Work as a team member to produce Grafton Village Cheese
- Job duties include but are not limited to:
- Taking lab measurements to follow cheese production
- Working in a clean food producing environment
- Ability to consistently lift 75 lbs
- Ability to follow set time schedule
- Good attention to detail in food production as well as cleaning
- Attend training to gain essential food safety knowledge
- Strong communication/collaboration skills
- Decision making
- Working as part of a team
- Consistent attendance is required
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum 2 years in a related industry helpful but not required
This full-time position includes a comprehensive benefits plan, including health, dental, retirement and more.
Grafton Village Cheese Company provides equal employment opportunities to all employees without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, place of birth, military status, disability, positive HIV-related blood test, or any other legally protected status.Compensation this position is PAID: hourly, under $15/hr How to apply