- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Chef The Mountain School
- Date Posted January 27, 2017
- Location Vershire, VT
- Category Culinary / Education
- Job type Full-Time
The Mountain School cultivates a diverse and interdependent community of scholars who learn to know a place and take care of it. Through collaborative learning and shared work, students emerge from their semester prepared to reach beyond the self and focus on the common good.
Each semester 45 motivated high school juniors from all over the country come together to live and work on the school’s farm in rural Vermont. Students and faculty build together a semester based on trust and an appreciation of difference, creating an academic and work-based community in which every voice matters. While living with teachers in small houses, students help to make important decisions concerning how we live together. Courses provide a demanding, integrated learning experience that takes advantage of the school's small size and mountain campus. Balancing intellectual inquiry and experiential learning, the curriculum challenges students to think flexibly, speak their minds, and return to their schools equipped for continued academic success. Engagement with the farm and forest sparks an appreciation for their food, their fuel and their labor. Admission is selective.
The Mountain School is seeking two full-time chefs to creatively transform vegetables and meat from our home farm into daily meals for approximately 75 students, staff, faculty, and guests. This is an exciting opportunity to work with well-raised meats and a local diet in a cold climate. Reporting to the dining manager, chefs will take the lead on menu planning and production for assigned meals, provide support for other meals, and work as a team to ensure the smooth execution of operations in the kitchen and dining room. Positions are full-time, with benefits.
- Create diverse, nutritious, and seasonal menus using vegetables, meat, and other staples from the home farm and local suppliers;
- Complete daily meal plans, prep lists and job assignments;
- Work to minimize waste and spoilage and care for supplies in stock;
- Ensure clean, safe, organized workflow, especially when working with students;
- Receive, rotate, and properly store incoming orders and supplies;
- Participate in regular team meetings to communicate and improve operations;
- Lead teamwork in one or more areas;
- Maintain high standards of quality, nutrition, and presentation.
The successful candidate will likely demonstrate:
- Minimum of 3-5 years hands-on cooking in a professional kitchen (restaurant, school, or other institution) or equivalent combination of schooling and experience;
- Experience with plant-based cuisines, including vegan or vegetarian dishes;
- Experience with food preservation, growing food, or hunting;
- Interest or background in nutrition and the strengths of different dietary approaches;
- Availability to work weekends and evenings as required;
- Strong communication skills, and a willingness to work with individuals from all backgrounds;
- High level of organization and time-management;
- Self-direction, orientation toward solutions, and excitement about healthy, local food.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to maneuver on uneven ground, go up and down stairs, carry and lift up to 50 pounds, and be able perform daily repetitive hand motions as they pertain to cooking and baking.Compensation this position is : hourly, $15/hr + Application instructions