Greenhouse Assistant NY Sun Works
- Date Posted February 27, 2017
- Location New York, NY
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Part-Time
NYSW is looking to fill a part-time position on the Hydroponic and Aquaponic Lab Team. The Greenhouse Assistant will work with the current Greenhouse Systems Manager to maintain existing labs and help build new Greenhouse Project sites at NY Sun Works™ school partners.
-Training will be provided with the goal of self sufficiency.
-Maintenance of existing labs entails water quality testing, plant/fish care, systems troubleshooting and overall lab cleaning and organizing.
-Building new labs involves organizing layout and assembling of all lab equipment.
The Greenhouse Assistant is a part-time position, spent primarily on-site at NYSW farm labs at K-12th grade schools throughout the five boroughs of New York City and New Jersey.
Salary is $17 per hour. Potential for growth within the organization.
The ideal candidate should be passionate about the NYSW mission and deeply committed to science, sustainability, and education in the urban environment.
Candidate may be asked to submit to a background check and fingerprinting by the DOE, and must have a track record that includes:
- 1 years + relevant work experience
- Good mechanical skills
- Knowledge of Hydroponics (aquaponics a plus)
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Exceptional communication skills
- Experience working as part of a team
- Comfortable teaching others
- Comfortable working in a constantly changing environment
- Degree in a relevant field is a plus
- Non-profit experience is a plus