Lead Baker Woodstock Farmers' Market
- Date Posted March 07, 2017
- Location Woodstock, VT
- Category Culinary
- Job Type Full-Time
The Woodstock Farmers Market is a bustling year round fresh market of fantastic food which generates over $7.5 million in annual sales. We are a classic "small giant": while our footprint is modest, we have created a dynamic fresh foods market with many facets: from our varied national and regional specialty products and our commitment to local produce and meats to our prepared foods kitchen and catering department to our innovative open book finance system and our service crazy staff.
We are a member of the Good Food Mercantile and a Good Food Retail Collaborative Member (one of only 21 retailers around the country), the Specialty Food Association (and Patrick our Chairman of Fun sits on the SFA Retail Council), the Vermont Fresh Network, Woodstock Chamber of Commerce, Vermont Cheese Council and sundry other organizations.
Our bakery team is a key component of our fresh offerings. Whether it's our bars, cookies or brownies or our celebration cakes, fine pastries or award winning pies, our bakery is proud of adding to our communities waistline since 1992. "Farmers" (as we are called) is a proud member of the Good Food Retailers Collaborative one of 17 of the most innovative and cutting edge independent markets in the country. Woodstock, Vermont is an outstanding and friendly town that combines outstanding arts, culture, outdoor sports with ease to NYC and Boston.Job Description
We are looking for a Leader for our Bakery. This person must come with strong leadership skills and the positive energy to lead and organize a small group of people while being responsible for the financial outcomes of a department.
We make most of our baked products on site and our repertoire includes brownies, cookies, bars, tarts, cupcakes, brulees, cakes, pies and more. We are looking to increase production with our new bakery production kitchen, adjacent to the main WFM building.
The Bakery Leader attends a weekly Leadership Meeting and works directly with our Culinary Directorwho heads up planning and quality control for the entire Prepared Foods Department.
Our Specific Needs:
- Ability to bake complex fine pastry as well as our everyday more offerings like quick breads, cookies and bars.
- Being calm under the pressure of performing in deadline situations. We are often preparing wedding or catering bakery items under time constraints and often with combined orders from the rest of the store.
- Excellent day planning and organizational skills.
- Modeling our no drama policy of personal responsibility and going the extra mile for guests and staff.
- Being positive in mind and spirit.
- Loving of service: actively looking for ways to help people while enjoying it.
- Outstanding physical condition. This job requires one to be on your feet for as many as 8 hours a day and to be able to lift over 50 lbs often throughout the day.
- Ability to grow department with new ideas and new business opportunities.
- Outstanding ordering and financial skills. Must plan orders with wholesalers and balance the ebb and flow of our guests consumption, being able to anticipate our needs for the cases in a timely fashion. You are responsible for the financial performance of a department.
- Understands the mathematics and semantics of the retail pricing of baked goods.
- Strong merchandising skills. We value great displays. The Leader sets the tone and must be able to create and help maintain great displays quickly and easily.
- Outstanding sanitation skills. Keeps the high WFM standard in both the production area and on the floor of the store. Leading by example, establishing and keeping scheduled cleaning projects.
- Good computer skills with proficiency in Excel spreadsheet and Word document programs in Microsoft Office.
- Great time management. This job will require 40-50 hours a week and requires outstanding management of your time and those around you.
Time Commitment: This is a full time job. We estimate about 40-50 hours/week. At least one weekend day is required. Holidays, especially the 4th quarter and summer are our busiest times and require planning and commitment.
Education: This job requires a minimum of 3 to 4 years in a related work environment.
Compensation: $38,000 - $40,000+/- depending on qualifications and experience. Simple IRA, Health Insurance optional after vesting periods; Market lunch every day; staff discount.Compensation this position is PAID: salaried, less than 50k How to apply