Harvest Manager Fishkill Farms
- Date Posted March 19, 2017
- Location Hopewell Junction, NY
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
About the Farm:Fishkill Farms is a 270 acre fruit and vegetable farm in East Fishkill, NY. Our homegrown organic and eco-friendly produce is marketed through our year-round Farm Store and Pick-Your-Own operation, 400-member CSA, and multiple Farmers' Markets. Starting with peas and strawberries and culminating with apples and pumpkins in the Fall, the farm provides family friendly outdoor pick-your-own fun for the local community, and a steady source of local foods and homegrown produce at our popular on-farm store. At our peak we host thousands of visitors a day, and hold tours, weddings, public events and festivals throughout the season. Job description
About The Position:
Fishkill Farms is looking for an experienced and talented individual to coordinate and organize the weekly vegetable harvest. The Harvest Manager will work collaboratively with the Vegetable Production Manager to determine when crops are ready for harvest, and will work with the Farmers Market Manager as well as the CSA Coordinator and Farm Store Manager to determine what produce is allocated to each outlet every week. In addition to providing leadership and hands-on direction on harvest days for a crew of approximately eight, the weekly schedule will include general vegetable production work. This is a full time, year-round position, as we continue to supply our winter CSA, three farmers markets, and our farm store throughout the winter with storage crops and greens from our greenhouses. Hours range from less than 40/week during the winter to over 60/week during the main season.
In addition to these core tasks, the Harvest Manager will:
- Order and maintain a consistent supply of materials needed for harvesting and packing produce.
- Keep detailed paper and digital harvest records.
- Train and monitor new crew members on harvest techniques, quality standards, speed and efficiency.
- Manage the washing and packing of produce in the pack shed with the assistance of the Farmers Market Manager.
- Efficiently organize and manage storage of fresh produce in our walk-in-coolers.
- Coordinate with the Farm Store Manager to provide fresh produce as demand and sales dictate.
- Collaborate with Farmers Market Manager on ways to increase sales and implement new marketing techniques.
- Work with the Wholesale Manager to discuss potential surplus/lower quality crops available for wholesale.
- Additional responsibilities in vegetable production may include planting, weeding, greenhouse work, tractor operation, and attending farmers markets.
- Ideally two full seasons on organic vegetable farms, at least one of which spent in a management or assistant management roll.
- Extensive knowledge of vegetable harvest and post harvest procedures.
- Strong leadership and people management skills.
- A passion for high quality food and sustainable agriculture.
- Willingness to work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Valid drivers license.
Compensation: Competitive hourly pay commensurate with experience. Some housing available on farm. Compensation this position is : hourly, varies DOE, $13.00 - $16.00 Application instructions