Creamery Assistant Consider Bardwell Farm
- Date Posted April 14, 2017
- Location West Pawlet, VT
- Category Culinary / Production
- Job Type Full-Time
Consider Bardwell Farm is a nationally known creamery and dairy farm located in West Pawlet, VT, which is undergoing expansion. Our cheeses have won multiple international awards and are featured in many of the nation’s top restaurants, retailers, and markets. We hand make cheese from milk from our own herds of goats and cows, as well as milk from our local partner farms.
Consider Bardwell Farm is a member of the Vermont Cheese Council and the American Cheese Society, and are certified by Animal Welfare Approved and NOFA-VT. In January of 2014, it was named Vermont’s Sustainable Farm of the Year.
At Consider Bardwell we are committed to sustainable farming methods that minimize waste and emphasize quality. We strive to be responsible environmental stewards, exceptional farmers, world-class cheese makers and friendly neighbors.
This is a great position for somebody looking to get their start in Cheesemaking, learning about the basics of cheesemaking while helping with the record keeping, cleaning, testing, cave work, brining, and all the nitty gritty details that really make our cheeses consistently delicious.
- Assist during cheesemaking as needed, and lend a hand at crucial moments.
- Morning prep for cheesemaking, including cleaning and making brines.
- Learning to take pH levels of cheese while aging.
- Learning to and helping care for our cheese from creation to delivery--turning, numbering, pressing, brining, drying, taking to the the caves, washing, turning, brushing, picking, cutting and wrapping.
- Cleaning rooms and equipment after cheesemaking, and assisting with weekly deep-cleans of the facility.
- Learning to keep logs of all cheeses, under supervision of our Food Safety Manager
- Undergo Food Safety Good Manufacturing Practices training and learn Standard Sanitary Operating Procedures
- Learn! Ask questions, utilize resources, and follow your passion.
- 40 hours a week, on a schedule to be determined on a week to week basis. Ample notice of schedule changes will be provided.
- Pay starts at $11/hr with a review after 90 days. Manager-approved opportunities for overtime are available.
- Paid time off after one year
- Discounts on our meats, cheeses, and eggs
- Opportunities to expand your involvement and knowledge in our corner of the food industry.
- Immediate start date
- Position reports to Leslie Goff, Creamery Director.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline