Assistant Grower Gaining Ground
- Date Posted April 14, 2017
- Location Concord, MA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job Type Summer Job
Gaining Ground Farm is looking for a field crew member for 2017. Gaining Ground is a 3 acre non-profit organic farm in Concord, MA. that grows produce for hunger relief organizations with the help of volunteers.
Gaining Ground grows over 60,000 pounds of produce, donating to 13 hunger relief organizations in the greater Boston area, with the help of over 3,000 volunteers. Our focus is growing nutrient dense produce through soil fertility with the use of appropriate technology, hand tools and low till/bio-intensive farming practices.Job Description
Mid April- Mid October average of 40 hours per week
Salary Based on experience, competitive.
- Work directly with farm managers implementing all aspects of the farm including, greenhouse work, field preparations with BCS tractor, soil fertility, irrigation, cover cropping, irrigation, planting, cultivating, harvesting, distribution to recipients.
- Provide informal education about organic farming to visitors and volunteers
- Lead volunteers of all ages and abilities
Minimum one-year full season experience on organic vegetable farm.
Ability to work with farm managers, as well as independently.
Ability to lead and work with volunteers.
Comfortable interacting with active board and food pantry staffs.
Good sense of humor and a strong work ethic.
Ability to lift 50 lbs and perform repetitive physical tasks in all types of weather conditions.
Organized and attentive to detail.
Interest in hunger relief, farm education, social justice.Compensation this position is PAID: hourly, under $15/hr How to apply